PDA

View Full Version : Help

codemanlyons
03-26-2008, 11:04 PM
I have a yamaha 3 wheeler it is shaft drivin and has a really bad knock in the rear dif...i think it is a YTM iam not sure of the year either it was givin to me by a friend. i took the rear end out of it and have it on the bench all the bolts out of it.. the shafts on each side still in...how can i get the dif apart? do i have to take the shafts out first and if so how do i do that? any help would be appreciated! Thanks

thefox
03-26-2008, 11:18 PM
The axle comes out first and is probably easier to remove when the rear end is still bolted in the trike (the frame is a good holder). If no one else chimes in I will pull out my manual tomorrow and post up some more, it has been a while since I ahve had a YTM rear end apart.

Oh, Welcome to 3 Wheelr World!

codemanlyons
03-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Alright Thanks..

thefox
03-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Well my scanner isn't working so no manual scans available.

The axle gets removed from the right (tap the left side of the axle but use a block of wood over the end to save the hub nut threads).
The book does not say how to take apart the rear end, it says to take it to a shop, I know i have had one of these apart before. With the axle out the bearing carrier and inside cover can be removed. The big ring gear can then be removed and inspected. The "drive shaft" will need a special tool (or good luck with a chisel) to be removed from the housing but you don't need to remove it anyways.

If you need more help feel free to ask, also post up some pictures if you can they might make it easier to explain.

Yamada
03-27-2008, 09:47 PM
The "drive shaft" will need a special tool (or good luck with a chisel) to be removed from the housing but you don't need to remove it anyways.

you will need to remove it if the pinion is shot. Is is a left-hand thread nut. You can make your own "special tool" by welding two tabs on a socket.