PDA

View Full Version : paint over chrome?

ovhonda1
03-25-2008, 04:33 PM
I have a chrome FMF Fatty pipe on my 86R and it is really rusted and beyond polishing. I want to paint it black but don't know if you can prep the chrome to hold paint. Is this possible or will it flake off? Anybody done this before? thanks

Havoxx
03-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately, chrome can't be painted on, I suggest you sand where your going to paint, I've painted on chrome before, it looks fine, but as soon as it dries, it starts to peel off almost instantly, never gonna do that again :D. I suggest sandblasting it, or bead-blasting, or just hand sanding, whatever you have available, I bead-blasted mine, and painted it with high-heat paint, looks great. Oh, and get really high heat paint for the pipe, if not it just melts off :D.

tecat-z
03-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Yes, sandblast and it will be fine.

ovhonda1
03-25-2008, 04:48 PM
thanks. THe sandblasting will take the chrome off?

edog
03-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Sand blast the hell out of it with crushed coal.It will make a good enough surface for the paint to hold.If the chroming was done good like it was supposed to.It is nearly impossible to remove it.

I have sandblasted quite a few things that were chrome.An the paint has held well.

joe_f7
03-25-2008, 05:01 PM
i am also looking at doing this. how can you remove the chrome. have it acid dipped?

edog
03-25-2008, 05:04 PM
If you can get under it you can peel it off sometimes.

piroguedog
03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
My head light guard was chrome and i had a gunsmith sandblast it to take off any loose stuff and rough it up but the chrome didnt come off. He then coated it with this black gun barrel coating that is tough as hell. Came out good and is holding well. May have been called dura-kote or something to that effect. You can take off chips of loose stuff but a good chrome job is pretty much a metal casing in itself so it wont come off in anyway that is easy.

300rman
03-26-2008, 11:07 PM
you dont need to remove the chrome, just make the surface of it rough so the paint has something to grab. like sanding or sandblasting, as others mentioned above.

joe_f7
03-26-2008, 11:29 PM
what if the chrome has some chips in it. won't you see that through the paint or powdercoating?

300rman
03-26-2008, 11:56 PM
yes you will see it. sand more in that area to feather the edges of the chip better. no more chip!