PDA

View Full Version : Finally starting my Restore of my 185S

oscarmayer
03-25-2008, 09:55 AM
About 2 years ago I picked up an old 83 185S 3-wheeler. (it has the front shoks so someone said it was the 83 model) Well it sat on the back deck this whole time. Now I have decided that it's finally time to get it restored and working. I'm going to do a complete bottom up overhaul. Everything is gettign redone. the frame is being sandblasted and repainted, the motor i'm rebuilding alone with the trany, and all bearings are being replaced. If I can;t get the screw looking nearly new like i'll be replacing it. when I'm done this thing will look like a new trike.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated.

So far costs:
Trike $50
Parts from red-team-rider (still need rest of parts) $150
parts off ebay $140
parts from guy on here $60

So i have about $400 and i figure I need another $350-$450 to complete the job. which is not too bad. I'll be done 100% of all the labor, minus the valve job itself as i want a pro shop to get it done perfect. I'll hone and re-ring the piston. (no need to bore as it has good compression, i just want to refresh it).

any recommendations on parts i should look at replacing inside this thing while i got her appart?

I do have 1 issue that I'm facing. The decompression cable on the crank case side.
I have a new cable. and the lever on the head works fine, but the pull start assembly is missing so those are on the way.

Now on the crank pull start side, i seen soem pics wher eit goes into the crank itself behind the pull starter assembly. where does it connect? how does it connect and what parts do I need to ensure it's working correctly in there?

Thanks for the help guys!

Mike

oscarmayer
03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
man finding parts is a hair jerker!

ok so I'm working on the folllowing. the guts for the pull starter assembly. i found a couple of places, but they want $66+ for the kit that includes the big center pulley. I have a good pulley, I need the rest of the kit. any ideas where I can get a kit w/o the big center peice for a cheaper price?
Piston rings or even a repalcement pist w/o rings is not cheap! rings are $35+ and the piston kits are about $100 shipped on average. if I'm going to rebuild it, would it make more since to get a 200s barrel and get the more power? i can get a good barrel for $50 and then jsut need a repalcement piston and bore/hone it out.

I already have the complete motor rebuild kit on the way!!!!!

What clutch set do you guys recommend? I want something that will last and not wear out easly. it's for messing around and helping pull the drag car at the track sometimes, so it's not liek i'm going to race or drive it very hard. Basically toodle around. anyway, thanks in advance for any assistance.

oscarmayer
03-26-2008, 09:35 AM
no one has any ideas or assistance?

Gee, thanks. :/

dazjr
03-26-2008, 10:29 AM
We just rebuilt a '83 185S. We bored the 185 barrel out to use a new 200X piston. It works like a champ. As for making the decompression cable work. If the nylon or plastic piece in the recoil is gone or broken, you are out of luck. That piece is no longer available. I noticed in Dennis Kirk catalog you can buy individual recoil parts. If you do a search about the decompression lever, you will find quite a bit of stuff about it. Even with the higher compression of the 200X piston, our '83 is not hard to start without the cable.

oscarmayer
03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
yea i found a couple of palces that offer that up as individual parts. I'm hoping they do have them in stock.

i honestly would prefer to find me a cam cap assembly (think that's what it is called) that has the manual lever. I need it cause when iw as younger i threw my shlder out once when it kicked back on me. now that i'm older ic an't efford that to happen again.

dazjr
03-26-2008, 04:42 PM
We just rebuilt my Dad's 200S we did this with his. LINK (http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=78585) It works well.

dazjr
03-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Here is a quick picture of the 200E lever.62585

DeePa
03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Parts from red-team-rider (still need rest of parts) $150

sorry but good luck getting the rest of the parts. he sucks.

good luck on your restore.

you really dont need the auto decompression cable with a 185/200 cc honda motot.

Mike

thefox
03-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Have fun with your rebuild but before you get too far in I would suggest writing down a list of what you need and add it up, sorry to sound negative but unless the trike is in super shape to start with your not going to do a full restore making it look new only spending $400.

As for top end, $35 for rings and $100 piston kit sounds about right. You may be able to find an off brand of cheaper on ebay. Before you order a piston or rings or anything like that take yours apart and see what it needs. If the cylinder and piston are nice and measures within spec. then you could just hone the cylinder and put a new set of rings on. If you do need to get the cylinder bored, you can bore it to a 200 size and get that kit. I would rather spend $50 on boring a 185 cylinder to a 200 instead of on a 200 cylinder that might need to be bored.

As for the pull starter, what do you have now? Check the parts diagram in your repair manual and on a parts website (like www.bikebandit.com). The pull starter can work without using the decompression assembly, the decompression assembly is basically a plastic ring, spring and metal slide (most trikes are missing all these pieces by now).