PDA

View Full Version : Again tecate problems - not starting - just load bang out of exhaust

JohnBeton
03-24-2008, 06:29 AM
Hi Guys,

Again I'm having problems with my '86 tecate...
2 days ago I took it for a ride, but it seemed to fall back a little whenever I came out of a corner. I thought I forgot to put off the choke. The moment I touched the choke lever the bike began to rev high again (but the choke was allready off).
I pulled the killswitch, but it kept running.
So in 1 second I thought that the mixture got to lean and that's why it kept running after killing the switch, so I put on the choke and the engine stopt running.

I pushed the bike home, cleaned the carb (for the 125st time :p) put everything back together and yesterday I want to try again.

Started very first kick and the engine ran perfect on idle. So I took off for the ride and after the first corner I pulled open the gas, and the beast got on 2 wheels like a maniak, so the falling back problem was solved.

But after about 200m. Bike suddenly the engine falls off, seems like it isn't getting sparkt anymore.

I tried to kick it but it won't fire. Sometimes after a couple of kicks it give a very load bang out of the exhaust.
I thought the spark plug could be wet so I cleaned it, nothing.
I replaced the spark plug with a new one... Nohting, still the same.

I checked the carb and fuel is comming in.

Does any one have an idea what else to check ? currently I'm getting sick about it, I love this bike so much, but lately I have nothing but trouble with it...

DeePa
03-24-2008, 09:00 AM
i know the tecates have stator problems.
something about the glue that holds the magnets in place gets weak and the magnets fall out.

you might have sheared a flywheel key also.

under the stator cover is the first place id look. I dont think its carb issues anymore

JohnR.
03-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I tried to kick it but it won't fire. Sometimes after a couple of kicks it give a very load bang out of the exhaust.

When I first got my Tecate (about 10 years ago) it did the same thing. I kicked my heart out and it wouldn't start. I actually gave up and brought it to a local shop that had a great rep for fixing dirtbikes/atv's. He told me he cleaned all the connections on the ignition system and it started. That worked for a while but after a few rides it went back to the same old story. I believe it was the ignition coil that I sent out for a rewind, its been fine ever since.

John

DixiePlowboy
03-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Don't get discouraged.

Even if you stator and/or flywheel is the problem, once those are replaced with quality Ricky Stator parts you will have eliminated the biggest inherent Tecate problem.

My first '86 Tecate(back in '88) had ignition problems the entire time I owned it,(pushed it as far as I ever rode it) but I still enjoyed it enough that I bought another one 20-years later.

The very first thing I did to this Tecate that I have now was to install the new RS ignition system that the seller included in my machine purchase.

JohnBeton
03-24-2008, 03:52 PM
I got the stator cover off and removed the bolt that holds the flywheel. The flywheel key fell out immediately when I removed that bolt. It looks like the key is broken and the flywheel is out of position now.
I have a universal flywheel puller for flywheels with inner threat, but this one doen't have that, it works with 3 M6 bolts, so i'm going to make a puller this week and get the flywheel of.

I also found a new intake boot from a guy that had one spare.

Thanks guys for any input.

scooterroo
03-24-2008, 04:33 PM
with the loud pop, thats an indication of being out of time. so yeah, you more then likely sheared the keyway off and the flywheel was causing a mis-timing issue. causing the loud bang out the exhaust. get yourself a new keyway, and i am sure you will be back in business once you get it buttoned back up.

JohnBeton
05-06-2008, 01:58 PM
OK, I finally had some time to take the flywheel off, I didn't have time because I was working on my other bike, I'm now a proud owner of a T4 also :)

Now, about the T3, the key was sheared and it looks like it has damaged the groove in the flywheel. Do you guys think the flywheel is still usable, or is it trash ?
I noticed one magnet is moved a little to the outside, can I just tap it in and reglue it ?

Here are some pictures of the flywheel:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2865/1000938hr8.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/685/1000940im0.jpg

mdunn
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
My personal opinion is you should replace the flywheel now. If the magnet has already moved, it is waiting to let loose and tear everything else up on your next ride. Replace it with the Ricky and get it over with. Good luck...at least you found your problem...and with minimal damage!

scooterroo
05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
change it, dont risk the damage it could possibly cause when the magnets break free completely. get a ricky stator flywheel.

JohnBeton
05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Is it true that the Ricky Stator flywheels are a pita to time right ? I've read something about it. Some people say the oem's are better, but it's a risk with the magnets coming loose ...

I found a second hand oem flywheel cheap, but now I'm doubting... OEM or RS...

tecat-z
05-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Flywheels are not "timed" The stator plate is moved to advance or retard timing. The Flywheel only goes on one way. That's why the keyway it there. R/S flys are very good.