PDA

View Full Version : 85 Tri-Z jetting issues

maggiesboy
03-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Yes I have done the search, none of the threads have covered my issue, nor is it anywhere in the sticky thread. With that out of the way....

I had the cylinder ported. No extra buffer ports, just evrything smoothed out by a very reputable cylinder guy. Other than that, all I have done is install a set of Boyseen reeds. (the old reeds are same brand, just had a gap in them). I started with a 470 main. It will not rev clean past 3/4 throttle. I put a 500 in it. Still no clean rev. 440...still no top end rev, no better, no worse.

I have 210 psi, running Motul 800 and Sunoco 110 @ 32:1. I have even tried 3 different plugs to rule out a faulty plug.

Is something mechanical I am overlooking? Mix oil off? maybe go to 50:1? I am very open to suggestions. ALot of you know that this trike is very important to me, and I do not want it to go south yet again.

Thanks for your input. Bill

brrcuda
03-23-2008, 10:19 AM
HAve you ruled out the electrical system. I ran a 470 with a ported 85 Z cylinder and it ripped clean and crisp for 2 years. Had similar issues to start when i first got my Z, until one night i saw an arc from my coil wire. Don't rule out electrical.... Check your wires, grounds and any arcs under load.

Bryan Raffa
03-23-2008, 10:35 AM
check the orange wire comeing out of the coil ..they like to crack right next to the coil.. check for a good ground under the coil..

what carb you useing?

maggiesboy
03-23-2008, 10:50 AM
check the orange wire comeing out of the coil ..they like to crack right next to the coil.. check for a good ground under the coil..

what carb you useing?

I'm still using the stocker

Bryan Raffa
03-23-2008, 11:55 AM
try going below a 440 it sounds fat still..keep the needel on the center position un till the studder go's away..go down one jet size at a time ..when the studder goes away fine tune it with the needle..whats the plug look like now?

ps..38PWK.....;)

maggiesboy
03-24-2008, 10:25 PM
allright, I did forget to clear the paint from the frame when bolting the coil on. I got that taken care of, It runs much better than it did, but it still surges on the very top end with a 460 main jet.

Bryan Raffa
03-25-2008, 07:13 AM
allright, I did forget to clear the paint from the frame when bolting the coil on. I got that taken care of, It runs much better than it did, but it still surges on the very top end with a 460 main jet.

put a fresh plug in now and do a plug chop..I think you will find you need to go down some more..one at a time till that clears up..
once that clears up then you can fine tune it with the needede and air screw.

a hand full of fresh plugs...all ways helps..you may have too ride it for a 10min too get some color on the plug. and make shure your engine is warm when doing plug chops..as your bike will be hot at peak performance.;) thats where you want it too run the best.