PDA

View Full Version : 350X Oil Filter Cover Leak Losing My Mind

The Old Guy
03-22-2008, 09:50 PM
1985 350X... I've changed the o-ring, tried new bolts. I still get a leak from the left, bottom corner of the cover. Can anyone help me out? Is it ok to cut a gasket, and use it? Can I use silicone gasket maker? Help?......

The Old Guy
03-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks John. I didn't see any cracks in it. I had it off 3 times today trying different o-rings. I will look closer tomorrow. Thanks again. - Dan

SWIGIN
03-23-2008, 07:11 AM
you do know there is 2 orings in that cover right?

if ether leak it will run to the bottom and make it seem like the its the little lower one leaking

my buddy had a 350x oil filter cover chromed and he said he could never get it to seal since. he tried new honda o-rings and every type of sealer known to man and it still leaked. well i took it off his hands and cleand the groves for the o-rings out (witch buy know was filled with crap) and i placed a oil filter in the cover and found that the groves in the cover know hit the filter since the chrome made them a little higher.....a little dremel work let the filter go in like its suposed to and it dont leak a drop.

Dirtcrasher
03-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Take off the o ring and inspect every sealing surface in a well lit area. There has to be a nick creating a highspot or the cover large oring is damaged or the wrong size. A flat and round stone with WD40 are allot safer for most people to use around aluminum.

Is it an OEM oring? some of the aftermarket o rings may be a tiny bit different than Honda.

Liquid-Darkness
03-23-2008, 10:35 AM
1985 350X... I've changed the o-ring, tried new bolts. I still get a leak from the left, bottom corner of the cover. Can anyone help me out? Is it ok to cut a gasket, and use it? Can I use silicone gasket maker? Help?......

Yeah there are two orings to use. If you did not replace the small one, then thats proly where its leaking from. The area you discribe sounds about where it is.

The Old Guy
03-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah there are two orings to use. If you did not replace the small one, then thats proly where its leaking from. The area you discribe sounds about where it is.

Thanks, I will take your advice.