PDA

View Full Version : quick atc 70?

rugabugadouglas
03-22-2008, 03:00 AM
i finally afer many years of searching found a 85 atc 70 for my kids so i bought it took it home and cleand the carb cause it wouldnt start but had awsome spark. now i put the carb back on and it idles good but when you hit the throttle it boggs down and wants to die unless you easy into it and when it boggs down it sometimes backfires out the carb. i tried taking the air cleaner off and it didnt help i did some searching on here and i think it might be the main jet from my research but no one ever said it backfired so my question is is it the jet or timing? it has new points in it from the previous owner so i dont know if they messed it up or not? help would be great im new to these little guys

Ed200x
03-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Because it's used and you have no idea who worked on it, assume that the timing and dwell (point gap), the valve lash, etc. are wrong! I always do a complete tune up on any motor driven whatnot I buy used. Overall it sounds like the timing and or valve lash is out of adjustment causing the backfire. The bog could be caused by them being out also. But usually it's a fuel problem. You should get a manual for it. There's a free PDF Download available of the Honda Sevice Manual available. A member of 3 wheeler.org forum by the name of "Dammit" has a link to them at his sig.

blue27
03-22-2008, 09:30 AM
recheck the pionts, and also the jets in the carb, those holes are small and its hard to get them clean. You are on the right track.

here is a link on how to set up points
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=66798

rugabugadouglas
03-22-2008, 07:12 PM
well the points were off a little bit and i put it back together and it had a weak spark so i took it apart again and looked some more and the key was barely sticking out to cath the fly wheel so i mad a new one from a 110 key and it fired up with good spark till it died and now has no spark so i think the key i ade sheared off from being heated up and the hardness from it taken out. has anyone else had this problem with the key being wore out? its kinda weird if ya ask me

oldtime3wheeler
03-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I have a 83' 70. Didnt run when I bought it. New plug and gas , and it started. After about a week it killed the plug, no spark. I put a new one in, readjusted the carb(after a through cleaning) and it ran great. 2nd change of oil another new plug, readjust the carb again and it running great.
Hope that helps