PDA

View Full Version : 350x clutch slipping after 5 days?

threewheelin-feelin
03-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Hhey guys i just installed a brand new clutch kit with spiring steels and fibers...i put it in last week and rode it around fine ...everything was good sunday ...well i went out to ride it yesturday first lap around and it was slipping really bad...so i took it apart and found that my two outer frictions looked like they has some type of crud on the out sides where they would touch the pressure plate...well i cleaned it off and put them back towards the inside of the clutch pack and moved two others to the outside....i also noticed the new springs i got were like a 1/8 inch shorter then my old ones so i put the old ones in...any of you guys had a problem like this? or think it was just because of the springs were shorter?

Erics350x
03-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Did you soak the fibers in oil first and clean the coating off the steel plates before installing?

threewheelin-feelin
03-18-2008, 11:26 PM
i soaked the fibers over night.. and the steals are new theres a coating on then?

trainingwheeler
03-19-2008, 12:30 AM
did you use regular off the shelf 10w40? gotta use motorcycle specific oil ,the car stuff has detergents & friction modifiers...

super90
03-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Same mistake I made. Used automotive oil with friction resistant properties. That could be your case also, the shorter springs would be for stiffness I would think.

cr480r
03-19-2008, 01:42 AM
what brand was the clutch kit? some of them come with some very feeble springs.. you might try putting the old ones back in.... improper oil selection can cause slippage... as well as a mis-adjusted cable

threewheelin-feelin
03-19-2008, 10:53 AM
i used off the shelf motor oil but this is a 350x and run reguler 10w40 in it

turbostang
03-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I did the same thing with my Vmax, and soaked the fibers in regular motor oil overnight. Killed a clutch in 1 day.

Taught me a very expensive lesson.

Kintore
03-19-2008, 11:43 AM
When I changed the plates in my Z over 2 years ago, I soaked em in normal 10w30 and had NO issues, thats weird how that works eh?

threewheelin-feelin
03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
well if i take them back out and soak them will it save them? and what type of oil should i use

max
03-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Its most likely not the oil you used.

What did the original oil look like.

I had gas getting into my oil damaging the clutches on my 350. Had to rebuild the carb. Ive known a few others with this problem. See if you can smell gas in your oil.

Erics350x
03-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I've been running "regular" 10w40 motor oil in all of my stuff for 20 years now. That's not your problem. Some steal's have a coating on em to prevent rusting while on the shelf, cleans off with brake cleaner. Pull the disk and scuff em up with rough sand paper and install the new springs.

I would stay away from synthetic and high mile oils

SWIGIN
03-19-2008, 05:31 PM
barnett springs = #1

and they are cheap

threewheelin-feelin
03-19-2008, 10:46 PM
yeah im trying the old springs and no i smell no gas in the oil

Dirtcrasher
03-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I haven't ever had any bad luck with a BARNETT clutch and soaking them in plain 10W40 oil for about a half hour. I've installed at least 4 Barnett clutch kits in a 350X, 200X, 250R (OEM set) and an XR200 come to my immediate mind. The same procedure was used every time.

I WOULD NOT buy an EBAY clutch kit unless it was either genuine OEM or Barnett.

What brand of plates and springs did you purchase??

threewheelin-feelin
03-24-2008, 12:13 AM
I haven't ever had any bad luck with a BARNETT clutch and soaking them in plain 10W40 oil for about a half hour. I've installed at least 4 Barnett clutch kits in a 350X, 200X, 250R (OEM set) and an XR200 come to my immediate mind. The same procedure was used every time.

I WOULD NOT buy an EBAY clutch kit unless it was either genuine OEM or Barnett.

What brand of plates and springs did you purchase??

pro racer kit off ebay :cry: and now its is slipping once again after i switched the plates around...im stumped on what the problem is becuase the same thing happend....i was fine fir about 4 days and in the blink of an eye it started slipping so bad it wouldnt hardly move wtf?

Dirtcrasher
03-24-2008, 10:28 AM
You really do get what you pay for. As far as EBAY goes - I don't mess with chains and sprockets, brakes, clutches,etc etc and I'm still scared to buy one of the "new" brake calipers they have on there. Some of the deals are so cheap that they have to be junk.....

threewheelin-feelin
03-24-2008, 10:52 PM
You really do get what you pay for. As far as EBAY goes - I don't mess with chains and sprockets, brakes, clutches,etc etc and I'm still scared to buy one of the "new" brake calipers they have on there. Some of the deals are so cheap that they have to be junk.....

could anyone give me a list of cause of why the new clutch would slip after 5 days so i can do the process of elimination...that would be great

350Xhilaration
03-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Most likely sub standard quality parts.

I think I may have chimed in on this discussion before. I used Vesrah fibers and hate them, AND that is known brand name. If you went with an ebay no-name set, I'm sure they are the cause of all your problems.

Buy OEM fibers, reuse steels if they aren't blued or cracked, get new springs (if you haven't already), adjust it correctly and be done with it.