PDA

View Full Version : High revving BigRed

Hair Bear Bunch
03-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi,
Was out yesterday with the Br when it suddenly went from tickover to really screaming before I managed to shut it off:eek: . Re-started it, idled fine then the revs started to build up again poping and missfiring until shutoff. Made the trip home interesting:wondering , there was just no real control over the revs.
It's been suggested that it's fuel starvation, I've got a small plastic/paper fuel filter in line which should be good for an up to 500cc engine so I wouldn't have thought that was the problem:confused: .
Any ideas? Thanks.

DeePa
03-16-2008, 04:20 PM
pull the fuel line off of the carb and turn the gas on and see if it flows out at a good pace.

ive never heard of a 4 stroke revving faster when theres a loss of fuel. 2 stokes scream when they run outta gas.

I really dont know what could have caused it. Sounds like it might be getting leaned out because of the popping. Is anything sticking in your carb/throttle cable?

Hair Bear Bunch
03-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks, job for tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on.

Erics350x
03-16-2008, 10:59 PM
throttle cable or a cracked intake tube

Hair Bear Bunch
03-27-2008, 06:06 PM
There you go, taken a week to get round to it but yes, fuel starvation.
Almost nothing coming through on 'run', but a good flow on reserve. Stripped the tap out, there was water in the bowl under the tap and a whole bunch of crudola around the filter in the tank! Gave it a good clean out and all seems well now.
Just as an experiment, turned the fuel off while running to let it run out. Up go the revs, then the backfire, and stop. Still, it works now so thanks for your help and input.
Rob.