PDA

View Full Version : 250 sx question

y2kane
03-12-2008, 07:01 AM
I found a 250 sx locally for sale for 150 dollars. :D :naughty: He says it will not shift into 4th or 5th gear. :wondering Says it runs great, but he has to many projects. What do you guys think why it wont shift into these gears? Think they might be burnt out and need repaired or just adjusted out like he says he had heard thats what it needs? Quick replies will be appreciated for at this price it wont last long. :cool: Thanks in advance.

smvorndran
03-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Sounds like it has a bent shifter fork. If you don't buy it, I call dibs! I need parts.

smvorndran

y2kane
03-12-2008, 07:16 AM
I am not very mechanical inclined is this hard to fix?

smvorndran
03-12-2008, 07:31 AM
If you've never split an engine before, I wouldn't recommend you try it. Spare motors can be found fairly easily. Slap a different engine in it, and part the old one to recoup your money. I've had quite a few engines apart parting them out over the years, and I'd never attempt to put one back together. Too many pieces that come out when you split it.

smvorndran

y2kane
03-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Smvorndran you have been pm ed

ditchmud
03-12-2008, 07:39 AM
sounds like you better steer away from this one

smvorndran
03-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Smvorndran you have been pm ed

I called the guy. I'm second in line. At $150, the guy will probably take it. :( I hope he stands him up, then it's mine!!!:) Thanks for the head's up. Hopefully it pans out. I really need those parts!

smvorndran

y2kane
03-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Should have offered him a little more money. cash talks!!! Good luck!

smvorndran
03-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Should have offered him a little more money. cash talks!!! Good luck!

I thought about it. If I don't get it, there' a guy in Edon, Ohio area that has a barn full of ATC parts. I've got a call into him, but didn't hear back form him yesterday. I'll call him again tonight.

smvorndran

smvorndran
03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
He sold it to the first guy. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dirtcrasher
03-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Well then you probably missed out.............

The BENT SHIFT FORK is an old fable.

95% of shifting problems are an external engagement problem of the shift drum and locking mechanism. Especially on the SX, but unfortunately I didn't see this post and someone else advised you.

I'll buy a non shifting bike ANYDAY! Esp. an auto 250SX.

y2kane
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I dont mind. Sounds like I missed it anyways. Someone elses problem and I just don't need another project trike of any kind not having a garage or anything to work on them. I have to store the ones i have on my porch to keep the weather off them. lol:naughty:

Thanks for all advice and steering. I am not very mechanically inclined. I can change the oil clean the carb and change the plug beyond that I am a big novice.:wondering

Bryan bolter
03-14-2008, 01:07 AM
I happened to find this forum and couldn't believe i seen you guys talking about the trike I bought. Sorry if someone really needed it The guy selling it ended up being a high school friend. The trike runs great and it didn't shift right because of the I think its the shift star I messed with it and it started shifting I have to say best 150 ever spent. I have two banshees a blaster and a 77 atc 90 So im kinda new to the trikes so i hope to get to know other trike enthusiast.

:beer

smvorndran
03-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Curse you, Bryan Bolter!!! Just kidding. I was next in line.

smvorndran

smvorndran
03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
By the way, welcome to the forums!

smvorndran

Bryan bolter
03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks, I actually found another one the Detroit craigslist for $950 looks just like this one but the seat is tore up. I actually have been looking for a project for awhile and couldn't bet the price. I have seen lots of parts for these on ebay at reasonable prices. I will post some pics after the restore She needs a little work cosmetically to bring her back to life.

smvorndran
03-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah. I saw the one on Detroit CL. A little expensive for the shape it's in. I was hoping to score yours so I could snag the triple tree. I'd fix it later, and have it be my buddy bike. I love my 85 SX. Did anyone on here notice this SX last month?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190196127486&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=009

That thing was cherry. $1125 was an awesome deal, but I had to figure in $300 in fuel expenses to go get it, so I stopped at $975. That's the nicest 87 I'd ever seen, and it went CHEAP!!!! Looks like it went to Virginia.

Good luck restoring yours.

smvorndran