PDA

View Full Version : finally got it....86 tecate(with pics)

danimal95
03-10-2008, 01:15 PM
:w00t: ive always wanted one and thanks to a board member here i finally got it yesterday.it is in relativley good condition other than all the plastics are shot...new ones on the way:naughty: and the exhaust is trashed so i will need a new one,but for what i gave for it in my area it was a fair price and well worth it.it runs really stron but i was suprised at the lack of bottom end for a power valve motor.....i took some pics last night with the rest of my collection i will post them tonight....also anyone know where i can geta rear grab bar for it?preferably after market

scooterroo
03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
pics!!!! lets see it.

danimal95
03-10-2008, 10:08 PM
heres the pics,it was late in the day yesterday so the lighting sucks:(
http://www.putfile.com/album/180626

evand
03-10-2008, 10:15 PM
looks awsome man, i heard that the t's lack bottom end, but make up for it on top?? dont know how truthfull that is since iv never riden one, but 86 t3's are my fav. of the big 3:beer

RID3R
03-10-2008, 11:49 PM
The 84/85 t3's dont have the best topend, but the bottom end is what makes up for it. But the 86, I cant see how you can go wrong with that either way...

JohnBeton
03-11-2008, 05:59 AM
Looks like a very clean Tecate, enjoy it :)

DixiePlowboy
03-11-2008, 08:39 AM
The 84/85 t3's dont have the best topend, but the bottom end is what makes up for it. But the 86, I cant see how you can go wrong with that either way...

Ummmm....:confused: ...you got that backwards IF you're talking about rpm/power range characteristics.

The 1st generation Tecate was known for a lack of bottom end as well as for it's "light switch" topend powerband, while the powervalved 2nd generation was still a bit soft on bottom with more mid-range than the 84-85, yet still kept the moon-ripping top-end.

For comparison, the Tri-Z was a good "bottom end" motor that wasn't known for top-end, and the liquid R was more of a mid-range beast with decent power everywhere else.

note: I use past-tense because I'm talking about showroom new/original, and there's not as many left that are completely stock.

danimal95
03-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Ummmm....:confused: ...you got that backwards IF you're talking about rpm/power range characteristics.

The 1st generation Tecate was known for a lack of bottom end as well as for it's "light switch" topend powerband, while the powervalved 2nd generation was still a bit soft on bottom with more mid-range than the 84-85, yet still kept the moon-ripping top-end.

For comparison, the Tri-Z was a good "bottom end" motor that wasn't known for top-end, and the liquid R was more of a mid-range beast with decent power everywhere else.

note: I use past-tense because I'm talking about showroom new/original, and there's not as many left that are completely stock.

i thought he had it wrong as well:crazy: i have a hand built pipe being built for it as we speak i will post pics on a new thread when itcomes in,as well as some pics when all the new plastic and painted tank are on it later this week:D

DixiePlowboy
03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
i thought he had it wrong as well:crazy: i have a hand built pipe being built for it as we speak i will post pics on a new thread when itcomes in,as well as some pics when all the new plastic and painted tank are on it later this week:D

Cool on the handbuilt pipe.....love to see a pic when you get it! What power range are you having it built for?

I've been sitting here for the last 30 minutes or so comparing pictures of DG pipes for the '86 to the handbuilt/coned CRF headpipe that I have, trying to figure what power range this CRF is gonna be good for.

danimal95
03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Cool on the handbuilt pipe.....love to see a pic when you get it! What power range are you having it built for?

I've been sitting here for the last 30 minutes or so comparing pictures of DG pipes for the '86 to the handbuilt/coned CRF headpipe that I have, trying to figure what power range this CRF is gonna be good for.

he is building it for more bottom end power,i guess we will see how it is when i get it back:)

RID3R
03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Ive never seen any one else here say that tecates lacks bottom end. Many this vs that threads if you want to compare, the tecate against an R or tri z. The tecate has better bottom end stock.

danimal95
03-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Ive never seen any one else here say that tecates lacks bottom end. Many this vs that threads if you want to compare, the tecate against an R or tri z. The tecate has better bottom end stock.

i have to disagree on that ,my r had quit a bit more low end than the tecate:confused:

RID3R
03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Sorry, but equal riders the tecate will pull from the R first stock. Topend isnt so good, as what I said, so the R will get it topend wise.

danimal95
03-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Sorry, but equal riders the tecate will pull from the R first stock. Topend isnt so good, as what I said, so the R will get it topend wise.

it very well may with an agressive launch but just normal driving,the r seems to have more bottom end feel,TO ME.......i dont care what everyone else's opinions are on the subject,im comparing my 2 machines and that is it,i thought being a pv motor the tecate would have a bit more on the bottom that is all

DixiePlowboy
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM

I may have used the phrase "were known for" in my statements that the Tecate was not a bottom end stump puller, but a top end ripper.....but what I should have said was that "I know them to be" having owned a brand new '86 Tri-Z, another bone stock '86 and '85 Tri-Z, two(2) '85 250Rs, one '84 .... three '85s, and 2 '86 Tecates.

Check with .org and quadpit.com for old magazine tests and shootouts with the Tecate in them for the test rider's opinions when they were all brand new.

Red Rider
03-11-2008, 01:29 PM
it runs really stron but i was suprised at the lack of bottom end for a power valve motor...

my r had quit a bit more low end than the tecate:confused:

i thought being a pv motor the tecate would have a bit more on the bottom that is allNice score on the Tecate! Unless you know the maintenance history of this bike, until you've had a chance to go through the topend (piston/rings & powervalve cleaning at a minimum), all this talk about how much lowend or topend is really that, just talk. Once you know the state of the engine & modifications, you'll have a known baseline to better compare/bash the different bikes powerbands.

Oh, and RID3R, you're wrong! In 86/87, stock for stock, hands down the Tecate was topend king.

RID3R
03-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Danimal and red rider, go back to my first post im talking about the 84/85 tecates. I more than know the 86/87 tecates have great topend.

Danimal, notice I mention stock in all my post. Maybe YOUR, R is better bottom end wise. But is it stock? Do you have an 84 85 tecate? Im not being rude but understand what im saying before you post, you quoted me once, and said that you disagree. Unless you have a stock R and a stock 84 85 tecate, you cant disagree. As what I said in that post im talking stock, and the first gen tecate.

oOGoFastOo
03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
i have a mostly stock 86 tecate with only a larger carb and it has pretty good low end and good topend as well. personally i feel it had more bottom end than my buddys 85 250r. but its hard to tell. i know it is definately faster in a drag race and his isnt stock.

danimal95
03-11-2008, 03:28 PM
ok first off im not bashing either of the machines i love them both,2nd i knew that you were comparing the 84/5 machines but i was not,and yes the tecate is bone stock not even an air filter upgrade,as was my r up untill 2 weeks ago so i have a very good comparison base,3rd i agree until i get the tecate apart i will not know the condition to compare to.......these were all 1st impression and in no way did i mean to "offend" anyone

BigGreenMachine
03-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Could it be that some people are refering to bottom end as how the bike accelerates vs where the most power is being made in the rev range?

That is the ways it sounds.

From my experience, the 84/85 Tecate likes to stay high in the revs to make the most power. It's 5th gear is way too short and makes the trike fall flat on its face, it could easily pull a 6th gear or taller 5th.

nd4speed
03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I would have to agree that low rpms of first gear on the 86 T3 are weak. Some of second gear too. Midrange is strong and gets to the top quick.

Rex Karz
03-13-2008, 01:02 AM
When I had my Tecate, it was just a screamer all around, period. The vibration is what got me, though. After just one day at Pismo, I was holding on so tight trying to keep the front end down, I got a sore right elbow that lasted 9 months. The vibration was a deal-killer for me.