PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug color

Twilight
03-08-2008, 04:24 AM
I remember my first 200x's plug was black as hell, but after I went through the engine its been a light tan color on the tip, is this right? Or am I lean?

Also the exhaust header was getting really hot like before. In 3min of running, the pain was bubbling off of it *NOS header from honda, original paint*.

Any advice is greatly wanted =)

RedRider_AK
03-08-2008, 04:39 AM
Might be a little lean. Usually, paint doesn't last very long at all. I would go another size up on the main jet and see if the color doesn't improve. You know the way to do proper plug chops?

Twilight
03-08-2008, 04:42 AM
Not in the slightest, haha. Can you explain? I thought of going another size up, that could explain the not so great idling too couldnt it? I am 2 screws out on the air screw.

RedRider_AK
03-08-2008, 04:57 AM
The way you do a plug chop is warm the engine up, kill it, pull the plug out and stick a fresh one in, then fire it up and do a wide open pass through all the gears, run it in last gear about 5 to 10 seconds, and then pull the clutch in and kill the engine. Coast to a stop, let the clutch back out, pull the plug and check the color.

Main jet doesn't affect iding, so that's not the problem. What mods are on the trike?

Twilight
03-08-2008, 05:05 AM
No mods at all. Im wondering if the carb could be gummed up? I really do worry about overheating with how hot this exhaust is getting. I should be able to tell you what color in about 2min, im running it right now on the block.

Twilight
03-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Alright, let it run and go and it still came out a tan color, but a bit darker. The header started to glow a orange color!

Nick_R_23
03-08-2008, 05:54 AM
If your header pipe is glowing, make sure your timings spot on, and also check for an air leak, both of those will cause the pipe to get hot like that.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Twilight
03-08-2008, 06:02 AM
Air leak test came out clean, i'll check timing tomorrow... I forgot I have work in 3 hours! Night! Any other advice or thoughts is as always appreciated =)

Nick_R_23
03-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Make sure the header gasket doesnt leak, and also that the header doesnt have any cracks, those could also cause that problem.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

RedRider_AK
03-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't think it's an air leak, as that would show up on the plug chop. Check timing and clean your carb.

Dirtcrasher
03-08-2008, 03:00 PM
If there are no mods then a jet is plugged or you have an air leak. Spraying starter fluid on the intake and carb boot areas while it's idling will let you know if there are any leaks.

If that was a Cobra header, (you said OEM though) the paint bubbles off them immediately.

I'd yank out every get, soak em in carb cleaner, blow out everything with compressed air and that should do it.

Did you get my mail Twilight??

Steve

Twilight
03-08-2008, 03:30 PM
I havent been home, so next Tuesday I will get to see all my bills...er mail.

I looked at the carb, and it was clogged on the main jet, also the carb boot has a crack. I put some silicone on that and am letting the carb pieces soak.