PDA

View Full Version : Leaky carbs?

Yamatrike400
03-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Im not sure if anyone knows anything about this particular engine,1982 yamaha xs400 twin with YICS.But i just got done rebuilding the tranny and put it all back together and put it in the trike and when i turned the petcock to primary,the gas went into the carbs like normal,but after a few seconds the carbs just started pouring out gas from like everywhere.I have checked the Floats and they are good. Any ideas? :wondering

Rustytinhorn
03-08-2008, 01:21 AM
I do not know about that particular bike, but for carbs in general:
The floats could just be a little hung up since there was no gas in the carbs. Try tapping on the carbs and see if that loosens them up at all.
If not your might look at your floats, make sure they arent collapsed. And check the needle and seat for signs of wear. Also make sure they were assembled properly. (We all have our days.)
Again, try sending a little gas to them again and tap on them to see if the floats/needle/seat are just hung up, if not then you will have to open them up and inspect. Also could check for float height.

Yamatrike400
03-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Well i messed with them for a while but i couldnt get it to stop leaking so i just ordered some new carb kits online (bowl gasket,needle,seat),for 52$$ The dealer wanted 83$!!! :crazy:

anyway thanks for your input :TrikesOwn

zoomerman
03-08-2008, 08:22 PM
i own a 1979 yamaha 400xs and once in a blue moon i would turn it off and gas would pour out of the overflow on the right carb. It took the carbs aparts and the float didn't mover too easliy. the valve was also stuck open. Carb cleaner solved my problem.

Yamatrike400
03-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah my floats were fine and needle seemed good but the bowl gasket was ripped and really dried up.