PDA

View Full Version : 185s will not turn over

james7559
03-07-2008, 08:46 AM
My 81 185s will not turn over. I believe its running rich because when i pull out the spark plug it is black and wet. I tried drying the plug and pull starting it a few times with plug out and waited about 20 mins. Put the plug back in and still would not turn over. I read that the exciter coils go bad and that I may need to replace. Should I rebuilt the carb first or replace coil? Or is there something else to try? :wondering New to the three wheeler world, so all the help would be appriciated.
Thanks
James

aproudcanadian
03-07-2008, 09:09 AM
ya i would check the carb incase something came loose or got dirty and then if you still have the problem try another coil

Erics350x
03-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Get a new plug and plug it into the coil wire. Lay the plug on the head and crank it over to see if you have spark. Look close as the sparks will be fast a small, blue in color. Checking at night may be easier for you

Vealmonkey
03-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I always thought that not turn over meant that the engine was seized or that the battery was so weak that the piston would not physically move? What you are actually saying is the engine won't fire and run, right? Have you tried pulling the spark plug from the head, putting the spark plug back in the spark plug wire, resting the spark plug against the head and pulling the recoil to see if you have spark at all? Try that and let us know if you have spark. You have to start somewhere and there is no need to worry about fuel if you don't have spark. You need 3 things for a trike to start...spark, fuel and air so try starting with spark. Next I would disconnect the air filter to make sure a clogged or dirty air filter is not interfering with air to the carb. And the last thing I would address is the fuel. Fuel issues are the more complicated of the 3. Good fresh gas, a clogged fuel filter-yes there is a small screen behind the petcock in the carb, and then the carb being just plain dirty and clogged, and the proper settings of the air fuel mixture all being possible issues. There are so many fuel issues that it can be staggering almost. But you should start with the basics of spark and air, also cause they are the least amount of work to check if there is something wrong. Try the spark and air first and write back.

james7559
03-07-2008, 10:58 PM
I do get a small spark when I leave the spark plug in the boot and set it against the head. put it back together, after a few pulls all most got it to fire. Weak idle then cut off. Try pulling some more and got nothing. What Should I do next?
Thanks for the help,
James

Vealmonkey
03-08-2008, 12:00 AM
You almost got it to fire, weak idle and then cut off. Think what you're typing before you type it. If you almost got it to fire, how was it idling????
Do you even have the gas turned on???? How old are you???? You got carb problems. Who knows what it could be????? It's going to be pretty impossible helping you if you keep typing this kind of mixed up info. Please be more careful and exact on what you're doing, not this uninformed all over the place info. Nobody will be able to help you unless you help us with better info.

McDerry
03-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Another James???

ebecme01
03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
you need a NEW plug. sometimes a oil fouled plug will spark but wont keep an engine running. Try that first, its easiest and often is the issue.

rjs9190
03-08-2008, 12:17 PM
check your CDI box mounted on the left side of the head

james7559
03-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Good call ebecme01. Replace plug and fire up on one pull.
Thanks for the help.

ebecme01
03-08-2008, 08:03 PM
no problem. Glad to help

Dirtcrasher
03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Another James???

Your thinking what I was thinking aren't you? I just decided not to post it..... :lol:

300rman
03-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Your thinking what I was thinking aren't you? I just decided not to post it..... :lol:

yeah, but this guy takes our advice, and when our advice works, he thanks us.
it simply cant be the same guy.

:welcome: James!

84honda200s
03-11-2008, 03:59 AM
yeah, but this guy takes our advice, and when our advice works, he thanks us.
it simply cant be the same guy.

:welcome: James!

agreed !!!! the other one probably would have just argued and so on. but maybe he changed his act ? :rolleyes:

300rman
03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
agreed !!!! the other one probably would have just argued and so on. but maybe he changed his act ? :rolleyes:

we will soon find out!

:welcome:

james7559
03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Not the james your thinking about. New to the site and newbie with trikes. All advice is good advice to me.

300rman
03-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Not the james your thinking about. New to the site and newbie with trikes. All advice is good advice to me.

cool! glad to have you here!