PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel wobble. HUB?????BEARINGS???

bronzeback5
03-07-2008, 05:30 AM
1986 ATC 250R left rear wheel wobbles side to side and all around. Everything is tight. Could this be the hub is bad? Do the splines (teeth) on the hubs wear out and that is what makes them bad? Do the bearings fit right behind or inside the hub and could the bearings be bad and not the hub? Can feel the wobble right at the end of axle around hub so its not a bent axle i believe. I would assume that if the bearings were bad that would wear out the hub and vise versa. Better to replace them both if its one of them? Thanks for any help, Bronzeback5.

bronzeback5
03-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Looked at manual and it looks like the only bearings are up on the axle correct? Have not took it apart yet, i figured there was bearings directly behind hub.

Bryan Raffa
03-07-2008, 09:05 AM
best thing you can do is raise the rear off the ground.. and start wiggleing everything..

Erics350x
03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
sounds like a bad hub or bent axle or rim

bronzeback5
03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Will swap the two rear wheels to see if its the hub.

Rustytinhorn
03-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Correct, there are no bearings on the hub. The bearings for the rear axle are located in the rear bearing carrier which is housed in the swingarm.
If it "wobbles side to side and all around" it definitally sounds like the hub is loose and/or splines are worn.
The hub bolts directly onto the the rear axle. There are splines on the axle and hub. These can become worn if the hub is ran loose, resulting in more wear and even looser hub, and the cycle continues.

Other things to check are for bent rim and axle. Make sure the hub is tight on the axle. Put some grease on the teeth when you reinstall it, and make sure to use a cotter pin.
Your repair manual should give you the correct torque values.

edit- You dont need to swap rear wheels. If you look at it with your eyeballs, and it wiggles, then its obviously loose. Take the hub off, clean it, grease it, and put it back on with correct torque values and cotter pin. If you run it even slightly loose it will wear your splines.

rjs9190
03-08-2008, 01:06 PM
it could be a worped hub or rim or and axle bent