PDA

View Full Version : 250r clucth basket

John mendolera
06-04-2003, 12:39 PM
I bought a complete clutch setup off ebay I got it today ,I wanted to know the finger's that come up that hold the plate's are grooved bad.If I file them so there smooth again will it effect the clutch grab.

skippy
06-04-2003, 03:39 PM
yes you can file them alittle... stress alittle.. if you dont the plates will not release and grab easily when you engage the clutch.. if you file too much off you will have slapping going around in there, (that is why most people replace their baskets, cause of the wear on the tabs..

TimSr
06-04-2003, 04:46 PM
The metal clutch disks spin any time you are in gear, and the fibers grab them unless you pull the lever to realease them. When your basket has grooves, just like riding ruts, the grooves catch the fiber tabs and pull them into the groove instead of letting them butt to the basket straight ahead. When you pull the clutch to disengage or spread the fibers, the tabs catch the grooves, the grooves pulls the fiber off to the side, causing it to rub the metals you are trying to disengage from. This makes it want to pull forward, even when the clutch is pulled, and also makes it almost impossible to shift while sitting still in gear with the clutch pulled. Also your fibers wear out prematurely as they are rubbing when the clutch is disengaged. A bad basket will not usually cause problems with the clutch engaging or clutch slippage, as the grooves usually wear in the engaged position, but it causes problems disengaging the clutch when you pull the lever. You can file them off a couple of times, but after that, as Skippy said, you get too much fiber tab slop between clutch basket fins.

John mendolera
06-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Thank's for the info guy's and quick responce.I'll keep you infomed on what happen's .