PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

Chopper_Kingpin
03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I found the leak on my trike. Its behind the sprocket. I've never done this, so i dont know what im looking for with this seal. Do i pry this off? Is it a easy fix here? I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. Honda shop said this seal is 11 bucks. Walk me through this please.

200x newby
03-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Pop the old seal out and and press the new one in! It's not to difficult.

SWIGIN
03-05-2008, 06:50 PM
it will be tough to do but the seal will come out without tearing the motor apart

just pry it out and oil up the new one and tap it in

Chopper_Kingpin
03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys, i didnt want to go all gungho if it was more than i could handle.

RedRider_AK
03-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys, i didnt want to go all gungho if it was more than i could handle.

That is, however, the best way to learn.

Don't forget to drain your oil before you do this, unless you like oil gushing all over your hands and shop floor while you work! :D

Chopper_Kingpin
03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
I have another question, is there another seal behind there that could also be bad? The chain isnt getting oil on it, its just leaking down the motor.

evand
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
shouldnt be another one, just the case were the shifter shaft goes through

Chopper_Kingpin
03-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, a day later and as probably expected the seal is still in the motor and wont budge. I went to napa and bought some small picks to get it out. It ripped the rubber all out but not the seal itself. Then the picks bent lol. Its not budging at all for me. Do you have any other ideas on how to pull this seal out?

Bryan Raffa
03-06-2008, 11:55 PM
drill a small hole in it carefully! and screw a screw in it , and get some vice grips on it ..theres only a 1/8 to 3/16th behind there do dont drill right through or run a 2" screw through your motor .. hahah careful.. you might have to do it on boths sides to pull it out strait with the shaft in..

Wait you took the sprocket off and pulled the collar out .. you shoud be able to get right in there on that one..I was thinkin of the shift shaft

and yes there is another seal in there its a O ring! pull the collar out ond you will see the O ring

IS THIS FOR THE 81R???

Chopper_Kingpin
03-07-2008, 03:01 AM
I took your advice Raffa from here and the chat room, worked like a charm. Here is a pic, i was expecting a different o ring being the seal tho. There is nothing else back there. I pulled the seal out and received a phone call when i went back to the trike i found the spring on the ground. Its a bit bent hopefully it comes with the new seal. does the spring go right behind the seal?

NINJA
03-07-2008, 04:49 AM
That small spring is what keeps tension around the seal. The new seal comes with that spring on it.

Chopper_Kingpin
03-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Thank you Ninja

Bryan Raffa
03-07-2008, 09:08 AM
good deal chopper... now .. install the seal first.. taping it in evenly..try and find a socket the same size.. if you use a punch stay on the verry outside of the seal..you want the seal flush with the case,, then install the O ring,then collar..:)