PDA

View Full Version : all 2 stroke guru's

maggiesboy
03-04-2008, 11:23 PM
how much sealant are you guys putting around the headpipe to cylinder? I have a 1/4" bead inside of the flange, and it still leaks. Any ideas? clean it off, go for a 3/8" bead?

tecat-z
03-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I use permatex high heat rtv. It's orange in appearance and works great. Just make sure both surfaces are clean of grease and oil. I generally coat the pipe on the outside of inlet and let the rtv squeeze out when pipe is insetted into cylinder/spigot. Will not leak. This stuff works great, and ends the dreaded DRIP.

Bryan Raffa
03-04-2008, 11:37 PM
leave the stuff thats stuck on the pipe on there ..and add more ..sometimes the pipe will sit off to one side and require more ..sometimes it takes a few trys ..put yout pipe springs on and tighten it all down and let it dry completly before starting. (overnight) or it will just blow right out ..when dry start it and run it a bit.. check for leaks..

if leaking pull off and add to that area and put a thin coat on the rest..let dry overnight ..

ChrisD
03-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Agreed....let it sit overnight and use the orange RTV.

If you had a Honda, I would suggest an aftermarket, double seal flange, but you Yamaha guys are on your own.:rolleyes:

Just kidding actually, I swear by the double row seal, but I don't know if that is an option for Yami's

maggiesboy
03-04-2008, 11:46 PM
sweet info! Thanks guys, I'll pull it off in the morning and get it handled :D

elcamino12sec
03-05-2008, 01:19 AM
You may want to let that stuff set up for a couple days before you start it. If you get it right it will seal it well.

300rman
03-05-2008, 09:59 AM
get this stuff called CHAMBER-SEAL.
its like a putty, but for exhaust leaks and seals. works great, but its kind of hard to find. i had a member here get it and mail it to me.

tecat-z
03-05-2008, 10:29 AM
RTV sets very quickly. Room Temperature Vulcanizing. No more than a few hours and it's ready. If you feel comfortable letting it set overnight, that's ok. I've never had the high temp leak or blow out. I use it in combination with all oem sealing, o-rings, washers, collars etc. The chamber seal is a pain imo. I used it for years and had limited success at best. It would always eventually develop a leak. I discovered the rtv many years ago when all of the sledheads on the local lake used it and swore by it. So i figured i'd give it a shot. And to this day it's #1 in my book. It also prevents metal to metal contact of pipe to cylinder, and reduced wear from contact in the soft aluminum exhaust spigot.

Bryan Raffa
03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
good point Ed!