PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning plastic tanks/fenders....revistied

DixiePlowboy
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
(This my be old news to some....but it was new to me, and maybe this will help someone)

My '86 Tecate tank was chalked/oxidized/whited over terribly. I started scraping it with a razor blade and was making horribly slow progress, so I tried a few things different.

Turns out that Easy Off stove top cleaner for Glass and Ceramic stove tops works like absolute magic! Using 00 fine steel wool, I didn't rub on the tank for more than 35 minutes and had completely removed all the "white". I don't have any swirl scratches afterwards either. It didn't take a half a bottle of the cleaner for the tank.

Havoxx
03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Oh god, I hope this works for me, I've been scraping for like 2 days on my old fender lol.

masonryman13
03-04-2008, 12:14 PM
would this be a good way to prep plastic fenders for paint???

DixiePlowboy
03-04-2008, 12:29 PM
(It's a shame that I can't spell "revisited" in the title correctly.)

I can't say how good it'll be for paint prep since the surface left after using Easy Off and 00 steel is wool is smooth and pretty slick. I'd recommend using your own judgement when you see/feel the plastic after cleaning it.

Let me restate just for clarity, that it's not Easy Off oven cleaner! It's Easy Off Glass and Ceramic stove top cleaner....and it works fast.

DixiePlowboy
03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh god, I hope this works for me, I've been scraping for like 2 days on my old fender lol.

I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many 250R and Tecate tanks I've cleaned over the years using the slower and harder methods.

Thanks goes out to my wife....she HAD to have that fancy/high dollar stove.:lol: