PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Starting And Idling Problem

BELGIUM KXT250
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi,

I have 2 problems with my tecate and I am totally new with trike so I apoligize for stupid questions I could ask...

When starting the tecate cold and putting the choke on do I have to give gas or I don't have to touch the throttle ?

Also when it's idling after 30 seconds and without touching anything the tecate begins to run high in rpm so I put the choke off but then the engine stall.

What do you think ?

cr480r
03-03-2008, 11:11 PM
When starting the tecate cold and putting the choke on do I have to give gas or I don't have to touch the throttle ?

Also when it's idling after 30 seconds and without touching anything the tecate begins to run high in rpm so I put the choke off but then the engine stall.

What do you think ?

The choke doesnt draw fuel with the throttle open... its an enrichment circuit not a butterfly like some carbs have.. I turn the choke off after a few seconds and keep it running with the throttle until it warms up a bit...

BELGIUM KXT250
03-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for your answer. Well let me tell you what has happened today. I was kick starting it and after several difficult attempts it started. Then again it raised in the rpm I closed the choke off but it still continued to rise more and more without stopping. Eventually I had to push my kill switch button.

I was really upset because I changed my pilot air screw setting before starting and thought that I had really messed up by doing that...and that the high rpm at idle was the consequence of the wrong pilot air screw setting.

But after that I decided to clean my fuel tank...I disconnected the hose... I know I was low on fuel level on the tank but when I opened the petlock to let the old fuel drain out nothing happened only 4,5 drops of fuel ! I was indeed so low on fuel that the biggest inline fuel filter was well ahead the level of fuel in tank so totally normal that nothing drains out when opening the valve...

So when 10 minutes before I tried to start the tecate and had the problem with the high rpm at idle I understood the whole story. I started the tecate with nearly no fuel flowing at the carb cause by low fuel level in the tank (how it started with no fuel at the carb remains a mystery for me) and I assume it raised to the high rmp because the air mixture was extremly lean (no fuel maximum air). Am I right ? Could this be the reason of the high rpm at idle ?

I am not proud of myself because it's a stupid mistake even if I only have the tecate since 3 days. I am learnig out but what a stupid mistake isn't ?

Can anyone give me the standard setting for the air pilot screw on a tecate (mikuni carb) how many turns out for the screw ? Thanks a lot

Havoxx
03-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't know about a 2-stroke too much, but for the R/C cars, when you run out of gas, it will idle incredibly high then die out, if you haven't already, you should pick up a clymer manual for your bike :D.

BELGIUM KXT250
03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
That's exactly what's happened but I didn't let it die I was so afraid of the high rpm that I pushed the kill switch my self. I have the 2 manuals for the tecate but I don't find this stupid standard setting of the air screw. Always when you need it most that you don't find it.

DixiePlowboy
03-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Look at the rubber carb-to-intake boot real close to make sure there aren't any excessively large cracks in it(which will also cause a lean out/high idle condition like you described) and make sure that the clamps are tight on both sides of the carb.

You could've had enough fuel in the bowl of the carb to start the machine, and still not enough to run it correctly because of low fuel level(since you were getting a few drops when you disconnected the fuel line). Add fuel if the boot looks good and the clamps are tight and you will probably be alright.

Don't knock yourself. You recognized that all wasn't right and shut it off quickly, so you did the right thing. I don't know what the standard setting is for the air screw, but if you back it out 2 full turns from all the way in and start adjusting from there, you'll be fine.

scooterroo
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
good point on the intake boot. definately check it for cracks and such. if it has some, you can always use some rubber plyer grip dip to fill and seal the cracks. safe with gas too so you dont have to worry bout it. i dont know how cold it is in belgium but here it can get rather frigid, when starting my 2 strokers, i start it with choke full on, but once it is running i go to half choke for a few seconds, then close it completely. i dont really touch the throttle at all till its nice and warmed up. maybe chop it once in a while to clean it out. are you running a stock carb with airbox on it? running empty can present them problems as well as all my 2 strokers do the same thing when they run out. surge then quit. have you cleaned the carb? if it still does it when you put gas in it, try cleaning the carb up nice, make sure all clamps are tight, and filter is clean. you said inline fuel filter? check to make sure thats not clogged up, and remember there are little screens around the petcock as well that sediment could settle around and clog up as well. if need be you could always slosh some gas around in there and drain it, or pull the petcock and check that. start with the simplest things first. fill her up, start it, go from there.

BELGIUM KXT250
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Thank you guys it's fantastic to have support and help from you. I really appreciate that. And yes there is (minor) cracks in the rubber boot of the carb intake so I will fix that then will reassemble the tank and put some fresh gas/oil mixture. I will let you know if the problem is solved. And thanks for the 2 turns out setting of the air screw. Yes my carb is stock and the air box is stock too. The weather in Belgium is not so cold compared to some parts of the US.