PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z Clutch & kickstarter cover :s

JohnBeton
03-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to get the kickstarter cover off my tri-z in need to take the clutchcover of so I can put a new waterpumpseal.

I can't get the damn kickstarter cover off, it comes of for a couple of milimeters, but won't come off completely. The problem is also you can't get a good grip on that little cover, especially at the bottom of it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to take the cluthcover off completely without removing the kickstarter cover first ? Because it seems like it is stuck at that side.

Thanks

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
no theres a bolt behind it ...it must come off

JohnBeton
03-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Does the shaft come out together with the kickstartercover ? Or only the cover itself ?

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2008, 02:15 PM
the shaft and cover come off together,, that way you might be able to reuse the gasket.. the gasket is in between the shaft gear and cover..if you pull it together you have a better chance.. that gasket is needed in there and acts like a shim, so the gears dont mesh up.

JohnBeton
03-02-2008, 02:34 PM
ok, will try it again.
Thanks for thie info :)

JohnBeton
03-08-2008, 07:04 PM
the damn thing still won't come off... I got the kickstarter seal out and I can move the kickstarter cover back and forward for a couple of milimeters, but it won't come off further than that. Als if I pull the complete shaft it makes no difference.

The problem is I can't get a decent grip on that little cover, especially on the bottom of it. And I don't like using screw divers to peel it off...

Bryan Raffa
03-08-2008, 08:34 PM
you might have too sharpin a old screwdriver and pry a little ..I know some times they can be a PITA...if you do pry .. the safest place is the outside of the bolt holes

JohnBeton
03-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Had some time left today and tried again, I had to use a screwdiver to pry it off. Not my favorite tool for the job, but seemed like the only way.
Now I'm waiting for my waterpump seal to arrive and then ... funtime :)

Bryan Raffa
03-16-2008, 10:26 AM
them dowels like to hold on too that cover ..make shure you put all the bolts back in and there tight ,, or risk cracking that cover..now is the time to fix any stripped holes with a heli coil...

and that kickstart gasket needs to be in there, it acts as a shim for the gears,, you kick start will bind if not in there...Dont forget to put the washer on the kick start shaft and the end of the impeller!!!

Bryan Raffa
03-16-2008, 10:32 AM
also that bushing inside the main case that the water pump shaft goes in is replaceable ..most don't even know its there..:cool:

Dirtcrasher
03-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I always remove and lightly sand those locating dowels with 400grit emery cloth saturated with WD40. I put grease on them and grease up the gasket thoroughly also. The next time I take it apart it comes off like butter and usually the gasket can be reused too.

JohnBeton
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
thanks bryan raffa, for all the info.
I'm going to give the engine a complete checkup now that I'm working on it.

tri-Z ripper
03-16-2008, 03:05 PM
good information to know!!