PDA

View Full Version : 200x brakes

drhatc200
03-01-2008, 08:17 PM
was putting new brakes on front of my 85 200x got the pads on but thaywill not go on with both new pads? its hiting a little piece of metal on side of caliper keeping them from going on rotor.is there something im not doing right. talked to friend tonight said thay had same problem on his 400ex. but couldnt remember what thay done to get it to go on

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2008, 08:27 PM
If you crack your bleeder that caliper piston can be retracted as far as possible. I have seen some cheap EBAY brake pads so thick that they barely fit.

Most likely your caliper slide bolts are seized, they need to slide so the new pads can fit over the rotor. Even if you don't know what I mean, take a look at the mounting points and you will find 2 points that need to slide and can be screwing this up for you.

drhatc200
03-01-2008, 08:47 PM
ok ill try that in moring about the caliper bolts its like if i took a grinder and took that little piece of metal off side thay would go right on. and yes $12 pads from ebay.

miked
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I had the same problem and yes the caliper slide bolts were seized. It was not easy to break them loose. I pretty much destroyed the rubber around them. Once i had them out I cleaned up the pin surfaces with fine grit sandpaper and loaded them up with antiseize. Now they slide nice.

I wouldn't skip unseizing the bolts, you need them to move for proper brake operation.

drhatc200
03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
ok ty i took some sandpaper and grinding the front pad down a little to get to work was going riding that same evening had to go something lol ill take it back apart and get some antiseize for bolts.