PDA

View Full Version : TRX70 vs. ATC70......How do they compare?

saleen_n_around
02-28-2008, 11:24 PM
86 TRX 70.......are they rare?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering how rare the 86 TRX70's were.....I havea shot at one and will prob pick it up, but were there a lot of them like the ATC70's? Any differences in the engine or rear half parts?

SYKO
02-28-2008, 11:31 PM
I got one and im getting another one, my daughter loves hers!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/100_2240.jpg

they can get pricey though!

JohnR.
02-28-2008, 11:54 PM
The TRX has a real CDI instead of point. Definitely much better IMHO.

cr480r
02-29-2008, 06:38 AM
They are bullet proof... My best friend got one new in '86 left it outside and rode it almost daily until he was 15... tires, airfilter, oil, and one pull starter rope in 10 years... it then sat around for 5 more years til he sold it for $600 with four flat rotten tires and dog chew marks in the seat...

350Xhilaration
02-29-2008, 08:26 AM
I love mine. Don't see too many around, and they do get pricey for a nice one. I paid $1400 for this one. Although, it needed nothing and was pretty immaculate. Not sure how they compare to the ATC70. I think the TRX loses out to the ATC by a bit on the coolness factor.

My 8 yr old has been riding it for 2 or 3 years now. Even when she broke her arm she wanted to ride it. Starts first pull after storing it all winter.

http://www.350xriders.com/trx70/trx.jpg

http://www.350xriders.com/trx70/brooke03.jpg

http://www.350xriders.com/trx70/brooke08.jpg

http://www.350xriders.com/trx70/brooke09.jpg

http://www.350xriders.com/packed4.jpg

Autophysn
02-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I can't say much for the quad, I never had one. But the ATC 70, now that is one mean machine. My dad bought me one in 1986 and I rode the hell out of it until I went to my dads 200X. He bought himself a 350X. Then my little brother drove it for another 4-5 yrs, and even dunked it in the canal at Glamis. It was under 10ft of water. We fished it out, drained and replaced all the fluids, and once the mag dried out, it was good as new. Then my baby brother rode it for another four or five yrs. That little machine has outlasted several generations. Now, My son is next. He is 7yrs old and will probly get three or four years out of it, until my daughter kicks him off, and I will have to buy my son a new bike.

Honda ATC's were built to last forever!

Now I have my dad's 350X, he has a 400x quad, and my 2 brothers, well, they turned to the dark side and got Banshee's. :rolleyes:

Autophysn
09-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Update, My son has since outgrown it in one year and moved on to a off road go kart. Now my daughter will be ready next year, she is only 2

Taiser
09-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I'd love an ATC 70, but for my daughter, gotta go to the darkside, I'd rather she was on a TRX. She boots around on my 110 and still scares me sometimes..has still has a habit of putting her feet down while turning once in a while...scares me every time and I wind up coming out yelling, short of beating the habit out of her, I'd rather find her a quad. I may go for a Chinese one next year since all she does is put put on the property! But I'd LOVE to find a TRX! Maybe even an old Suzuki would be great too! :D

Autophysn
09-20-2008, 03:58 PM
DUDE, Been there
done that
dealing with it now
STAY AWAY FROM THE CHINESE STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a new TAO TAO right now that is nothing but problems
already needs a clutch, and not even three hours of use.
I have been told when they are shipped, they use fish oil based motor
oils rather than good old regular 10w40. They tend to burn up quick
and the dealers know it. Its the first thing they do, an oil change before
they demo anything.
Now, I have to admit, I am in the same place as you.
Want my kids protected. How did we learn, trial and error. We put our legs down AND GOT BITTEN '
lesson learned. I too am afraid for my kids, so what did I do,
"Went to the darkside" and got him a cool little go kart. Has been great till now,
Till he hit a jump and when he came down, the weight of the carburetor broke the cheap intake manifold. Try buying parts, they all say, oh we have mechanics on site ready to help, with a complete line of parts
More bull, best you will get is somebody like me who has found out it will be better to just part this thing out on Ebay, than to try and fix it. And I am a mechanic!
Ended up having to epoxy the thing together just so he could play.
The big go karts are even worse, the size of my old buggy, and only has a 250cc engine. WOW!

In my opinion, they are making a bad name for the sport, and will be the root of some stupid law, LIKE BANNING ATC'S:twisted:

Now, another thing to consider, I like to play in the sand, don't know about you, but these Honda clone motors have to rev way up, like 3500rpms, before they produce ANY power. The result, I have to get behind him and push, just to get him moving. Once he is going, all is good. But no low end torque. I could literally stand there, hold any bike, go kart, what ever, and give it full throttle, its not going anywhere!!

Check out ATVriders magazine forum, they have an entire section devoted to Chinese based problems, Well , it's a repair section that ended up being damn near taken over by people with Chinese ATV problems. There are guys that can help, but for the most part, glance through and read. You will be convinced there is no substitution for a quality bike. ESPECIALY IF IT IS AN ATC!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Anyway, you know what I am trying to say,not trying to bad mouth anybody. Bottom line, you would be better off with an old TRX than a new Chinese ANYTHING!:naughty:

oldtime3wheeler
09-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Both my kids(12 and 5) ride atc 70's. They love them. My cousin bought a mint '86 TRX 70 for his neice and she hates riding it. He said next time Im down his way to just take it home with me to use with my kids. He told me to use it all I want, just dont sell it. Ive ridden it and its fun, but its not a trike.

300rman
09-21-2008, 08:37 PM
still has a habit of putting her feet down while turning once in a while..

well, putting your leg down on a trike or quad will have the same lasting impression....theres still a wheel behind each leg be it a 3 or 4 wheeler. so what does it matter if its an ATC or the TRX???????????