PDA

View Full Version : Thumb or twist??

wad
02-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Just wondering what you guys use of your trikes???

3Wheelers4Life
02-28-2008, 04:51 PM
well, on ATV's i like the thumb, but on dirtbikes, i like the traditional twist. but thats just me.
http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=73584

Eric250R
02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I really don't have a preference, my Tecate has the factory twist and all my others have the thumb. I like them both.

scooterroo
02-28-2008, 05:47 PM
thumbs all the way, never got used to a twist throttle, never liked them.

super90
02-28-2008, 05:48 PM
twist all the way for me, never again am I going to get a thumb, unless i was going to race mx or something.

Mr.Jake
02-28-2008, 06:06 PM
bad experiences with a twist, lol. Couldnt let go going up a hill and flipped. So thumb for me!

Havoxx
02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
My wrist was busted as a kid, so I can't use twist :D, and the thumb boxes or w/e they are where the peices go on the 86+ hondas look so nice :D.

Tri-Z 250
02-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Funny thing is I've always kept em stock thumb style. I do have both kinds...2 and 3 wheeled machines. Best rule of thumb: Friends don't let friends twist up their 3wheelers.

300rman
02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
well. get a double gasser. its a thumb and a twist. the twist (i think) locks up when in thumb mode

JohnR.
02-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Twist. Your thumb is your strongest finger so why wouldn't you want it wrapped tightly around your hand grip? People always talk about how twists are dangerous when you wheelie up and accidentally pour the throttle on but dirt bikes have been twist forever. IMHO, once you're used to a thumb throttle you'll never go back. The only thing with a thumb on it besides the 70's is the 4x4 and I'm seriously considering getting a twist kit for it. Its sooooooo much easier to hang on with your thumb on the bars instead of pressing on a lever.

John

Ryan.
02-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Twist. Your thumb is your strongest finger so why wouldn't you want it wrapped tightly around your hand grip? People always talk about how twists are dangerous when you wheelie up and accidentally pour the throttle on but dirt bikes have been twist forever. IMHO, once you're used to a thumb throttle you'll never go back. The only thing with a thumb on it besides the 70's is the 4x4 and I'm seriously considering getting a twist kit for it. Its sooooooo much easier to hang on with your thumb on the bars instead of pressing on a lever.

John

thats what i told my brother, then he yelled at me saying try riding this on the whoops with a twist, you'll kill yourself, well atleast i can hang on good!

SWIGIN
02-28-2008, 09:45 PM
i just sacked up back in the day and built up my thumbcepe muscles....lol

factoryX
02-28-2008, 10:53 PM
I was wondering the same thing, I have a 86 Z and was wondering if I should go to twist, My turd warrior had one, and I was jumping that with no problems...

McDerry
02-29-2008, 03:28 AM

John

Your thumb is actual your weakest digit in your hand. The joint and muscle structure of it is horribly flawed in exchange for it being prehensile. Twist is definitely more ergonomically correct, it just tends to lack the finer control of the thumb throttle. Mind you you can use a slow draw speed twist tog et the control, but then you tend to half to slip your grip to reposition to get to full throttle.

brrcuda
02-29-2008, 07:18 AM
I use to ride with a friend that swore on those twist throttes for his tri-z and actually didnt want to ride my trikes cause of the thumbs. From what i noticed we had completely diff riding styles. You tend to ride more like a motorcycle with your knees clenched to the tank for balance and leverage cause you need to keep the right hand sort of light.

I grew up on thumbs, so i ride with a lot of arm strength to keep my balance and leverage as well to pull my body up after slides and such. It works for me....

When i purchased my first 250R a few years ago, it had a twister. I gave it a chance and liked it on the open frozen lakes - no cramps when wide open. When i took it on the trails though, i almost launched it into a tree headon in a wheelie. A little scary. I was doing a u-turn slide and pulled my body up from hanging off the side - the r wheelied and gassed it. Luckily i caught and hit the brakes.

Maybe just my lack of experience on twisters on ATCs- but i'll stay with the thumbs.... 2 rides and that twister was changed out to a new thumb throttle.

overdressed1
02-29-2008, 07:32 AM
GO BOTH!!!

I got a dual gasser for my Z cause I couldn't make up my mind as to thumb or twist.

It's bloody great. You can lock the twist off if you want ( with a little silver pin underneath ) or ride with both live.

Depending where I'm riding or what type of riding I'm doing I can choose either.

It's a great piece of kit and probably the best mod I've done to my trike.

I guess you can tell I love it. :w00t:

brrcuda
02-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Now that is interesting. I could see something like that for one of my riders...Hmmm

Thanks for showing.

DixiePlowboy
02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I've put a twist throttle on every 3-wheeler(and on '88 Q-Racer) I've ever owned with the exception of maybe my first ('84 Big Red in '84), and a couple of Yamahaulers. Can't stand anything else, but that's just personal preference.

YTM225's, 350X, 250R's, Tri-Z's, 250SX, 200X's etc.... all got twists on my watch. Twists were already on my Tecates and Cagiva, so I didn't have to swap them over.

cr480r
02-29-2008, 09:39 AM
IMO trikes are much easier to ride with twisters than quads are... I have had both thumb and twist types on my tecate with no problems(although I watched my roomate nearly die with the twist), but I absolutely hated the twist on my quadracer... I think it had to do with the added turning effort and strange ergos on the quadracer... I hate long rides with a thumber..

RID3R
02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I cant stand thumb either.. Most everything ive had, had twist. Now I really need twist when something has a clutch for some reason. Im getting rid of the thumb on my 86z, I cant seem to ride very good with it. For tight trails, I find twist to do fine for me too.. Twist all the way for me.