PDA

View Full Version : Will muratic acid strip chrome?

Billy Golightly
02-28-2008, 12:09 AM
So on my old FMF 250R silencer, I'm needing to cut off and weld on a new pipe of larger diameter coming into the actual silencer canister for the 500 motor, but its chromed and I can't (well, I can, but I don't want to try) weld over top of it. If I take the piece and throw it in some muratic will it strip the chrome off or am I gonna have to grind it?

SWIGIN
02-28-2008, 12:15 AM
iv welded over chrome before...you dont even know its there

in fact i shortened my chrome shifter and had it tiged...... it didnt even discolor

SYKO
02-28-2008, 10:07 AM
yea billy you can weld over chrome, its a very thin metal, and really your just welding the metal underneath, ive done this before making custom bumpers, wich reminds me.....seamless 62 continental bumpers......yumm!

Billy Golightly
02-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Arent the particle going to burn off and be floating around inthe weld pool though?

SWIGIN
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
iv only welded chrome shifters and kickers but i never had a weld fail

Daddio
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Billy you have nothing to worry about. If you use muriatic acid on it the steel under it will also be eaten away to a degree. Are you using a mig welder? If so just go for it.

Billy Golightly
02-28-2008, 10:29 PM
na, Tig. Which is why I was a little worried about the stuff flaking/burning off and going into the weld pool or onto the tungsten and then mucking up the cleanliness of the weld but I suppose its just an exhaust joint and its not extremely imperative.

hadar
02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah, tig welding over chrome just dosen't sound good at all. Does chrome pool? I would just tape it and lightly sand it off to be safe. For some reason, I just don't see it pooling good at all. Or if it does, it might contaminate the weld, bigtime.

RacerRichie
02-29-2008, 10:38 PM
no muratic acid will not strip chrome. I would grind the chrome off where you are going to weld its only 0.001" thick.........

oldtime3wheeler
03-01-2008, 06:51 PM
don't weld over it it will not fuse properly. I weld constantly and it will not adhere properly to the metal. clean the surface first and youn will be fine