PDA

View Full Version : whoohoo!! uni came in! have a q tho!!

plkmonster2
06-03-2003, 08:55 PM
my uni filter came in today, but i ran out of oil for the filter on my other uni. can i use anything else? my dad says he uses sae 30 in the old tractors. is that ok? or a no?

J.D.
06-03-2003, 09:39 PM
I use WD-40 on my filters. Realistically, I think your supposed to use "Foam Filter Oil" because it dries sticky and traps dirt better.

skippy
06-03-2003, 10:20 PM
your probaly better off w some trans oil(like 80-90 weight if your in a bind).. alittle thicker,, but 30 can work...

plkmonster2
06-04-2003, 08:13 PM
any 1 else? im trying to get a clear view

Dynofox
06-04-2003, 09:11 PM
I've had good luck with bel ray foam filter oil.

wanta250r
06-04-2003, 10:03 PM
I use 80-90w clear gear oil

plkmonster2
06-04-2003, 11:29 PM
and the gear oil works fine? i might just get some filter oil, instead of guessing. ill get some tmrw after i get the cylinder bored.

wanta250r
06-04-2003, 11:55 PM
I haven't seen any difference since I started using it. I never used any oil before. And it has stayed the same. My Clymer repair manual says it is ok to use it. ?

TimSr
06-05-2003, 09:11 AM
The purpose of the oil on a filter is to trap the dust particles rather than allow them to pass through. When your filter gets clogged or overoilded, it runs rich, as airflow is restricted, but if your filter is unoiled, or inadequately oiled you will not notice any ill effects, just as if your filter is removed, you wont notice any Ill effects. What happens is that the wear rate on your cylinder goes up drastically, when dust particles are allowed to enter it.

For a foam filter, once it is clean and dry, you are supposed to oil it, and then squeeze all the oil you can out of it. Then wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze it out again. All you want is an oil film to keep the element wet. The biggest mistake people make is over oiling, and then after a day of installation, the oil runs to the bottom of the element, and is either puddled at the bottom of the foam, or even dripping from it. With this procedure in mind, heavier oil doesnt run to the bottom as easily, but whether you run 90w or 30w its still a potential problem if you over oil, but either is fine. These newer filter oils are an answer to an old problem. They are applied with a thinning agent, so its applied in a very thin film, which then dries, and leaves a heavy tacky oil behind that does not run to teh bottom of the filter. I use the K&N spray for their filters on foam elements as well, and apply it the same way. IN answer to your question, filter oils are better because they dont run after they are applied, but using normal oil or a a gear oil is fine.

ATC crazy
06-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Any oil is better than no oil at all ;)

plkmonster2
06-06-2003, 09:00 PM
i got some silkolene, pretty good stuff. the guy at the yammie shop said that it was better than belray or the generic because it sort of dries and stays very tacky. it starts out like the pipe solvent, and it smells like it too! then it gets really tacky.

350Xrider
06-07-2003, 02:21 AM
I always use the aerosol cans of filter oil it works better i think.