PDA

View Full Version : swinger bolt wont come out

Danold
02-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I was taking the axle out the put new bearings in my 200x when I noticed my swinger bearings were loose. I have an good extra set off my parts bike so I figured I would replace them since Im wait on the bearings to arrive. Turns out the bolt is rusted solid to the sleeve that goes in there and wont budge. I beat it with everything I had including a sledge hammer. Move about a 1/4 inch. Im at the point where im thinking of taking the sawzall to it. I dont care what it takes to get it out because I have another bolt. I have no clue what to do now and I get more pissed every time I look at it :mad:

i58829
02-26-2008, 10:12 PM
You're gonna have to stick some heat on it. I heated mine for about 15 min never letting it get cherry red, then i pulled out the bfh and let it have it. It you can make one, take a piece of steel rod and grind/turn down the tip to fit into the hole on the bolt. This will keep the bolt from spreading, or mushrooming on the end.

Also i had to hit mine on one side then the other back and forth for a while before it came out. It's a lot easier to do this when its a bare frame...

DeePa
02-26-2008, 11:52 PM
stuck honda swinger bolts are the reason im restoring my 250r...

had to take the motor out and that was it.

now 6+ k and 1.5 years later its still not done

FPMXer
02-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Soak it over night with a half a can of PB Blaster. It will get in there and work on the rust and then hit it with the heat the next day. Use a drift to hit on the end and it won't mushroom out the threads. Does the swinger move freely up and down? If so does the bolt move with it or stay put?

Danold
02-27-2008, 09:30 AM
The swinger moves up and down like it should. The bolt is rusted to the sleeve in the swing arm and moves side to side with the bolt. This makes me think its gonna take a lotta heat to get it out. Ive already drain a can of penitrating oil in there and still no result.

Well, guess ill start taking the motor out for more serious work.

RedRider_AK
02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
You should soak the hell out of it with PB and just let it sit for 2 or 3 days. I ruined a 200X axle by using a sledge on it once, the hub was stuck on the axle. I tried torching it, etc, it wouldn't budge a millimeter. Eventually all the pounding flattened out the part where the cotter pin goes through the axle, which means now I have to retap the threads, drill a new cotter pin hole, etc. After that, I sprayed it down one last time and just left it in the vice for a week, then one day noticed it and gave it a whack with the hammer one last time and the hub came off halfway! I was beating my head against a wall for a while after that, I'll tell you that much. :(

saladboy
02-27-2008, 02:33 PM
cut it with a sawzall that what i did came right out just becareful not to cut the swinger or the frame

200x Basket
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
i press mine out but i ahve it down to a frame and swinger.

i58829
02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Yea what DePaa said, be careful not to go too crazy buying parts once the motor is out, but it is a good time to paint the frame. Plus it only takes 10 min to get the wiring off the frame and you'll be set. I was amazed at how little time it took to get down to a bare frame...

JohnR.
02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I drilled mine out after fighting with it for a few hours. You just have to drill enough so the remains of the bolt will clear the frame.

Danold
02-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Well I got it off today. Tried heating it with no luck. In the I took the sawzall to it and didnt even scatch the paint on the frame or swinger. Had to cut both ends of the bolt and drop the swinger. Once I got a look at I could tell It was clearly not coming out.

i58829
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Glad to here you go it out, did you end up pulling the motor??

Danold
02-27-2008, 07:11 PM
yea I pulled the motor and plan to do some detailing. Already polised the rims, grab bar, soon to polish the trees and fork tubes. I will get a snapshot when im done and back together.

yamaha_ripper98
02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
danny did you ever end up getting that axel bearing pulled out of the carrier or is it stuck 2 lol glad to hear u finally got the swinger off