PDA

View Full Version : ATC 250R front brakes locking up

bronzeback5
02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Got an 86 ATC 250R and the front wheel is locking up. Could there be an easy fix or would i need a new caliper. Maybe thats why i see alot for sale with the front brakes removed. Looked at OEM parts, wow. My pockets aint that deep, any suggestions?

Rustytinhorn
02-26-2008, 03:25 PM
I'd pull the caliper off and try spinning the tire and make sure is isn't bad bearings or bent axle, and make sure the rotor is bolted on straight.
If you have isolated the problem to the caliper, it sounds like it just isn't releasing pressure. Maybe have some grit in there?? Might be able to take it apart and try to clean in out and put some new fluid in it...
The rotar or pads could possibly have sticky stuff on them. Try giving them a cleaning.

bronzeback5
02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Is bleeding these brakes going to be nearly impossible after i tear it apart? Did rears on my KX 250 and nobody could get them bled. Had to take them to the shop for a power bleed. Will remove caliper and isolate problem. Ill be back,thanks.

Rustytinhorn
02-27-2008, 05:07 AM
I will have to look in the manual and refresh myself on bleeding so I dont spread any false info.
Rusty

cr480r
02-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Are the pads worn thin? I have had problems with old worn calipers getting stuck when the piston is too far out...

Vealmonkey
02-27-2008, 05:38 AM
It could be the insides of the brake hose are deteriorated and collapsed which won't allow the brake fluid to return to the reservoir or that it traps the brake fluid pressure to the caliper. You may just need a new brake hose.

bronzeback5
02-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Took caliper off and wheel spins great.Caliper and pads are about as nasty as you could get. Cant get the pads off, im retarted! Loosened up the 2 allen screws that run through the pads but they only unscrew so far, not enough to get the pads off. There is a 12 or 13 mm nut that i thought i had to remove to get the pads out but i cant get it broke free. Do i have to remove this to get the pads off? And just think, i build cars for a living:)

TeamGeek6
02-27-2008, 08:05 PM
The caliper seal is corroded in. Motorcycle calipers are bad for that, because water gets in behind the seal and corrodes the aluminum, and that forces the seal against the piston so it wont move.

It cannot be a collapsed hose.

Soak the pins in SILICONE spray and DONT beat on them. Turn them back and forth and let the silicone spray work in.

Erics350x
02-28-2008, 12:51 AM
The caliper seal is corroded in. Motorcycle calipers are bad for that, because water gets in behind the seal and corrodes the aluminum, and that forces the seal against the piston so it wont move.

It cannot be a collapsed hose.

Soak the pins in SILICONE spray and DONT beat on them. Turn them back and forth and let the silicone spray work in.

What he said, good luck, i've been there

oOGoFastOo
02-28-2008, 01:14 AM
my buddys 250r was doing that because one of the bolts fell out of the caliper and it was binding up with the wheel, check and see if the wheel is all chewed up where it goes around the caliper, you never know.

bronzeback5
02-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Dont have a manual and need to know how to remove pads frome caliper. should be simple, unscrewed the 2 allen screws that run through the pads and the only unscrew so far, not enough to pull them out of the pads. Should these two screws come completely out to remove the pads. Describe pad removalcus i must be missing something. Ordered an online manual and it was supposed to be saved to adobe reader but i cant find it, so im screwed till i can get ahold of them. Breif description of pad removal please?

bronzeback5
02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Finally got the pads off. There was two pad pin bolts that i had unscrewed that hold the pads in place. Had to beat them out with a hammer and screwdriver. Stuff is hard to work on when it has not been touched in 20 years and is all grimed up. Got a new caliper and braided brake hose on ebay and bought new pads that i am going to put on. That will give me time to go through the old caliper and clean it up. Teamgeek and eric were correct i think because one of the pistons moves freely and the other dont. Should the dust seal and piston seal be replaced when i go through this caliper. Is that part of what you get when you buy a caliper rebuild kit? Thanks to all:)

SWIGIN
02-28-2008, 03:51 PM
what i would do is just tear the caliper all apart and clean it real good and scrap all the crust out and throw it back together.

if it leaks then get seals...its not hard to do