PDA

View Full Version : 250r coolant in trans fluid

phillyscars
02-24-2008, 11:14 PM
My 86 250r is losing a small amount of coolant into the transmission fluid. From what I've read on here, if my mechanical/water pump seal is bad, wouldn't coolant leak out of the weep hole on the water pump cover? Nothing is coming out of the hole. What should I do to fix this?

TeamGeek6
02-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Nope. Only one way coolant gets in, and its past the pump seal.(unless the head is leaking AND the crankcase seals are leaking at the same time.) Its a two piece ceramic seal. Theres a regular shaft seal on the pump shaft. (as i recall). Make sure the counterbalancer bearing isnt gone, that lets the pump shaft wobble. The pump seal is spring loaded, take it apart and see if theres junk in the seal.

i58829
04-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Ok this sounds pretty simple i just want to bump it because i have a similar issue. My 85 R runs great, i had it out last weekend and it was running as good as it ever has. I stuck a fresh quart of oil in it before i left and i noticed some watery oil seeping around the stator wire inlet. It always had a sealing issue here but it never looked like this. I guess after sitting for 5 or 6 months it wasn't happy, i only started it once in the winter.

Anyway to get to the point, i took off the smaller water pump cover, the impeller shaft moves maybe 1/16 of an inch in any direction, there's not coolant being burnt as the exhaust smells like it should. What do i need to replace this and is it easy enough to do/access without pulling the motor out of the frame? If it has to come out the frame will be pc'd so it will be a lengthy project but i'll do it right this time. The motor only has 22.5 hrs since it was built. Thanks TC...

scottp597
06-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I am also looking for info regarding fixing a pump seal. Can it be done by removing the water pump cover ( I haven't looked inside yet ) and removing the impeller?

Yamaha_Rules69
06-10-2009, 09:50 PM
You will most likely have to remove the clutch cover and water pump cover, as the seal is installed from the inside.

scottp597
06-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Dirtcrasher
06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
^ Be careful bud, thats a special seal and if you aren't careful installing it, you'll ruin it.

I think its about 35$ too isn't it??

Anyhow, please try to read up on it beforehand in the shop manual and if you use a socket etc etc to install it, just watch whats happening. Plenty of people screw up that seal install.....