PDA

View Full Version : ahhh timing help please( DONE )

bigred1
02-21-2008, 08:29 PM
i have an actron digital light from sears and want to check timing on 82 200e. i've never used a timing light before. first ? i have is, the manual says to hook a portable tach well my timing light has an inductive pick up clamp that measures rpm is this good enough or does it have to be a separate unit? second is light manual talks about the timing adv. buttons is this something that is only used on engines with vacum adv. dist.? thanks for the help

bigred1
02-21-2008, 10:52 PM
can anyone tell me about this?

SWIGIN
02-22-2008, 10:08 AM
you can use a timing light on a bike but its not as easy as using it on a car

years ago my buddys messed with this and i seem to rember them useing a shiny peice of tape for the light to reflect off of....or maybe this was a rpm counter

ether way you dont use a light to ajust the timing on a atv

bigred1
02-22-2008, 03:30 PM
you can use a timing light on a bike but its not as easy as using it on a car

years ago my buddys messed with this and i seem to rember them useing a shiny peice of tape for the light to reflect off of....or maybe this was a rpm counter

ether way you dont use a light to ajust the timing on a atv

i'm talking about checking timing ( to adjust timing I turn the pulse gen, according to manual ) and to CHECK timing the manual also says to use timing light so if you have another way of doing this please elaborate. Thank you.

topless
02-22-2008, 05:22 PM
We used a digital timing light to check our timing. I shows rpm and uses a induction clamp. We just hooked it up to a spare 12v battery for power. It worked great.

SWIGIN
02-22-2008, 05:27 PM
to tell the truth the reading dont matter at all

as long as you have it advanced and its not pinging your set

bigred1
02-23-2008, 04:45 PM
so i tryed removing the timing cap while engine running and now i got oil all over did i miss something or what? if i dont use a timing light which way do i turn the pulse generator to adv or retard? Will i hear a noticeable difference in engine sound?

Somekindofjerk
02-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Did you take the timing bolt out of the pullstart case to see the flywheel or the CDI cover off?

Either way NO oil should be in there thats a bad seal and possible bad bearings!

Best way to time them is to get the T mark to show in the timing bolt hole and then line the pullse generator coil mark up with the pulse coils rotar behind the CDI cover.

Howdy
02-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Either way NO oil should be in there thats a bad seal and possible bad bearings!

You don't know much about 200e's do you? The 200e's stator / flywheel is in the oil area on the machine, so it is normal for oil to be in there.
Howdy

bigred1
02-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Did you take the timing bolt out of the pullstart case to see the flywheel or the CDI cover off?

Best way to time them is to get the T mark to show in the timing bolt hole and then line the pullse generator coil mark up with the pulse coils rotar behind the CDI cover.

I took the timing cap off shown in picture, are you saying there should not be oil in there?? this is where it all came from when i took the cap off to see timing marks.

Howdy
02-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I took the timing cap off shown in picture, are you saying there should not be oil in there?? this is where it all came from when i took the cap off to see timing marks.

Read my reply 5 minutes before yours. Oil in that area is 100% Normal ( on 82-83 200e's and 84 200es's ). I would be worried if you didn't have oil in there. The oil is needed to lubricate the starter gears and assembly. No oil would cause them to wear out quickly. ;)

Now if you have oil in the pull starter, then you have a oil leak. ;)

Howdy

bigred1
02-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks Howdy i kinda thought it was supposed to but i am still learning on this mechanic stuff.

okay i thought maybe cause it was realy full that this caused a bigger mess and it needed a oil change anyhow so when i refilled i just put it at the half way point on dip stick and when i tryed it again not near the problem.

so to adv do i turn pulse assy. clock or counter clock? Thanks

Twilight
02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
^^^Thank you! Better than anything my manual told me!

Should the cam rockers be facing down or up?

bigred1
02-23-2008, 08:59 PM
alright so after i lowered the oil level a little i was able to take cap off with out much mess. to adv timing i rotated clockwise and to retard i rotated counterclockwise and got pretty much on the F mark so timing is done Thanks guys for your help. now i'm still playing with the carb a bit but it's probably do for a complete rebuild for now i'll just get it as close as i can so i can get back to my (first mods thread) i started this morning lol. Haven't even started that yet, but we all know that a running trike is more important than a cool trike. Again thanks for the help!

Twilight
02-23-2008, 09:39 PM
bigred1, can you tell me if the cam rockers were down or up?

bigred1
02-23-2008, 09:51 PM
i'm affraid i don't quite follow what your asking. are you installing rockers and not sure what way they go in? i have a manual if you can be more detailed about what your doing. other than that i'm still learning as i go.

Twilight
02-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Thank you =) Got it all together... now to try it out =)