PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made a wiring harness?

Havoxx
02-21-2008, 01:42 PM
I was wondering, has anyone ever made a wiring harness, I was looking through the diagram and whatnot, and it's an incredibly simple harness, has anyone ever like, remade or rebuilt one for their bikes?

I mean, it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, just that my bike has been sitting outside before I got it for oh say, 7-8 years, and in all reality, the wires are probably close to rotting from the inside-out at this point. I also figure before I dish out $60 for a new stator, might as well eliminate this as a culprit.

thefox
02-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Check what plugs you will need first, new CDI and stator plugs come to mind as possibly being hard to find.

The only trike I have made complete harness for is my atc70, It uses 2 wires and no special plugs.

Havoxx
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Yea, I figure I'd need to use the CDI one from the bike the others are just, well, they're called tamiya bullet connectors in the R/C world :P, I'd most likely use power-poles though, since the offer no resistance :P.

TeamGeek6
02-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Yep, the problems is finding the connectors, and they are most of the failures. Ive rebuilt the R harnesses, and designed and made harnesses for industrial machines.

The copper wire in old harnesses tends to oxidise and become difficult or impossible to solder.

Then if you find a new CDI plug, the old terminals on the CDi are also worn,.

Havoxx
02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Yea, that's why I was probably gonna use R/C car connectors, they seem to work well for these types of applications, since they are made to run high-heat and in water and whatnot. Something along the lines of these connectors, since they can inter-connect and pair up to make a big connector. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD176&P=ML

69HemiGTX
02-22-2008, 12:12 AM
I plan on building my own harness for my KXF326 because I'll be using a PVL ignition system and a Honda 450R killswitch. I'll also be eliminating the lights and key switch. The diagram below is a modified Tecate-4 schematic, which is what I'll be basing mine on.

frogger
06-10-2009, 12:10 AM
I need a wiring harness for a 1979 honda 110 3 wheeler, I want to make it run so bad again,
How can I build up a set of wiring harness? or buy a used one here?
anyone?

thefox
06-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Do you have the wiring diagram? If not there is one on the main page. It looks like an easy harness to make, I was going to make one for mine. I don't remember it using any special plugs only the common round conectors.

ilmoakw
06-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I built a new harness for my 200S. I used the OEM CDI connector and just soldered/heat shrink all the other wires. The only connector I have is the CDI...

Macs
06-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Harness are easy to make, like stated before just get the plugs for the diffrent electrical componets that require a plug. I prefer to make mine because i use the same color code on everything. then if i have a problem, it is very easy to diagnose. Also you can upsize the wire. Factory harness's usaully use the smallest wire they can get away with.

The Goat
06-14-2009, 07:20 PM
lol...this reminds me of the lifan harness I made.

6 hours or so making the harness according to the directions. 1 hour of no spark and testing. 10 minutes of getting pissed off, hacking it up and making something that I knew would work.

Yamada
06-14-2009, 08:11 PM
lol...this reminds me of the lifan harness I made.

6 hours or so making the harness according to the directions. 1 hour of no spark and testing. 10 minutes of getting pissed off, hacking it up and making something that I knew would work.

I'll need you when it will be the time to wire my YTM-225. Wanna came down and help me. I'll pay you a real beer.:beer :lol:

The Goat
06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.beeraday.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/turbodog.jpg

drink up me hearties yo ho