PDA

View Full Version : wierd 200x kickstarter problem

Mr.Jake
02-20-2008, 11:20 PM
I recently split the cases to check 1st gear and i checked the kickstarter aswell just to make sure i wouldn't have to open it up again. Well, after reassembling the engine and putting it back in the bike, went to kick it over, and the POS slipped, if i slowly push the kicker down it's fine, but if i kicked it as if i were trying to start it, it slips the whole way down, wtf! I did a search and some people say it slips when its cold, it is -12 celsius. And i don't have oil in it yet. Would that be the problem? I don't want to put oil in it if im gonna have to drain it again. I hope i dont have to split this engine again, i swear i almost beat it in with a sledge 10 times already!
Thanks

Danold
02-20-2008, 11:30 PM
mine had the same probem. This means the kickstart assembly is going bad. Mine didnt do it much at first but it eventually got worse and not having oil in it could worsen the effect. There is talk about updated kickstart kits but I made one by cutting one spring in half and adding it to the origanal spring on the kickstart and hasnet slipped yet and its around 10 F here. It would be best to fix your kicksatrt while you can. If you have an extra kicker assembly, do what I did, it is really worth it.

Mr.Jake
02-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Yeah i have an extra kicker assembly, maybe ill see wich one is better and try that spring idea,this engine has to have given me the most trouble yet, shoulda got a yami....NOT

TravEX
02-21-2008, 08:28 AM
So you have to split the cases to fix the kicker problem? I may be facing this on mine someday.

Bryan Raffa
02-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Im going to back cut mine like greenhuman did

Brockey
02-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Well the PO of my 200x said the spring was let go on the kicker. Well, he was wrong. Luckily I have the parts I got off stormimpulse which are perfect. Figured I post a pic too.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/Brockey/kicks.jpg

Brockey
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Also is there a tool for those two nuts with the 4 notches in them. A TOOL had my motor apart before and those notches were gone. Beat off with a cold chisel I guess. But once again the bottom end I got off storm impulse they were perfect in.

Dirtcrasher
02-21-2008, 06:21 PM
So 1st gear didn't work and you split the case but the kicker was fine. Then you reassembled the case after finding out there was nothing wrong with 1st gear and now the kicker slips. Your on a roll bud......lol

Aside from the kicker, whats the verdict on 1st gear??

Mr.Jake
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
the 1st gear kept kicking out, one of the shift forks was worn down, so i replaced that, the stopper arm spring felt pretty loose too, so i replaced it aswell. I made the tool for the nut with the 4 notched in it, just took a 22mm socket and grinded it down, looks ugly but works great. Man this kicksterter is pissn me off, i've hardly ridden the thing yet , but i do now know this engine inside and out! The kickstarter repair (if things go well) should take me only a couple hours. Brockey... how heavy if your foot! lol, you must give yours some mean kicks!

Dirtcrasher
02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Cmon now......Tell the truth, lol..

You said before that you split the case and found nothing wrong in the shifting parts.

Was it just a loose shift-drum-star-wheel-stopper-arm-pivot bolt or spring that was causing 1st gear to drop out?? :wondering

Help some of these guys out if that was the case.... just so they don't split there whole motor for nothing and then screw up there kicker mechanism in the reassembling process??

LOL I'm just messin with ya Mr Jake.... :beer :w00t: :TrikesOwn

Mr.Jake
02-22-2008, 02:47 AM
it may have been a combination of them all, i replaced a shift fork, which was worn down more than i liked, swapped in a "star" shift stopper, and replaced the stopper arm spring, it shifts good now, so it could have been anyone of those, they were all worn down more than i liked, so i switched them. Now the kickstarter is pooched. It wasnt before, so im gonna split he cases again and have a look at it. The shift drum looked real good, I also found a little trick out. Before you rip your cases apart to so if 1st gear is screwed, try shifting to second then to 1st, seems like 1st gear is pretty sensitive, at least on mine! Sorry, it was wing night tonight! I had more than i planned to drink:beer , so if this doesn't make scence:wondering , ill explain it tomorow! lol:Bounce

The Goat
02-22-2008, 04:03 AM
brapp you might wanna be hesitant with that, if one tooth is off the slightest amount, all of the stress will ride on that single tooth...given how weak they seem to be to begin with, that could be bad.

Brockey
02-22-2008, 08:24 AM
I am a strong guy Mr. Jake but I had nothing to do with those gears. I bought my bike with the kicker let go. The sprocket shaft cut off and the shifter shaft cut off.
I wasnt sure if it ran or not. But $200 for what I got was alright.
I got it all apart now. But I only have the diagram on the computer and no printer at the moment. THe motor is rotten and out in the garage. I dont know how all the gears and washers go back together yet. lol. I cant wait to get it together and get it running. I might have to bring my laptop out and put it back together today. lol. You doing anything with that airfooler yet?

Mr.Jake
02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
yeah, i have a maier rear fender coming from ebay, got new fork boots, new clutch and throttle cable. Nothing cosmetically is done, i want the engine running mint before i start on the appearance. Those thrust washers on the tranny can be a real *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*! I has one that has a slightly larger diameter and when i tightened up the case everything seized, it would rub on the case when it was supposed to spin on the bearing. So make sure when you take it apart you do it somewhere clean, with no other parts around. That way you don't get parts mixed up, or loose anything! Oh yeah, the motors coming out tomorow and im gonna fix that damn kickstarter pos!

Dirtcrasher
02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
lol.... Good luck buddie. Post up the results asap!!