PDA

View Full Version : Beadlock wheels and silicon, do they mix?

ccdhowell
02-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I recently bought a pair of Douglas Ultimate beadlock wheels and I have a major gripe with these and really all beadlock wheels. When I ride them most anywhere they get mud, water or other trail junk down in the space behind the beadlock. And it's a major pain to clean the crap out.

I had the idea to fill the gap behind the beadlock with clear silicon caulking. Anybody ever do anything like that? Or anything else that works?

I did buy a set of mud plugs for my 8" wheels, but these are 10" wheels and I can't find mud plugs for 10" wheels.

Thanks,
Chris

SWIGIN
02-19-2008, 11:56 AM
it does suck but its not to bad to just hose out the crap.

back in the day we used to run orbiters (spelling?) they were a foam insert that filled the whole wheel so dirt could not fill the wheel..... but you had to spray them with paint to seal them so they dont soak up a ton of water

ProCarbine2k1
02-19-2008, 12:20 PM
They make plastic mud caps for those, I think they still sell them on ebay. If you think those are bad, try a set of Champion style beadlocks, theyll pack EVERYTHING in that lip.

ccdhowell
02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I've not seen mud caps for 10" wheels. Can you give me a link?

ProCarbine2k1
02-19-2008, 03:47 PM
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=nacs&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=411266505&Count2=328406929
There ya go, from Nacs website. Link wont take you specifically there, you have to search their products or use keyword caps. For 8 and 10 inch wheels.

badasskfx
02-19-2008, 08:53 PM
hiper and omf both offer mud plugs. does douglass offer them?

ccdhowell
02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Hey Pro, bless you my child, they were easy to find on NAC's website. Don't know why I never looked there.

badkfx, no, didn't see any on the douglas site, but who knows, they may have them, haven't been very good at finding stuff lately.

Just ordered a set of the 10" mud caps, just the ticket. Now I can take back those two tubes of caulk I bought.

evand
02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
i dont see why u couldnt do that, seems like a good idea to me acually! i use to hate getting the mud out of the rings on my q-racer!

i got a ? for you, were did you get those "fork covers" iv seen a few people with them and i love the look but i can find them anywere

thanks
evan

ccdhowell
02-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks man, I may just try it in addition to the mud caps I just ordered.

The fork covers on my Tecate are Seal Savers. I ordered them directly from the company, here's a link: Seal Savers (http://www.sealsavers.com/abi002/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=1&DID=19)

Chris