PDA

View Full Version : Help! '83 Honda 185S likes to freewheel!

hopton
02-17-2008, 01:15 AM
I have a 1983 Honda 185s. Ever since I have owned it (about 17 years), it will not continually engine brake in any gear. If I coast down a hill, the engine will slow it down only for a few seconds and then it starts freewheeling as if it's in neutral. Tapping the throttle "re-engages" the engine and it starts engine braking again, but only for a few seconds. This happens in any gear. It is also a problem if I need to jumpstart (if recoil rope breaks). Rolling and dropping into first gear immediately freewheels. Everything shifts fine when driving and the tires lock up in any gear when shut off. I know this forum has great members and someone will know how to help. Thanks!!

McDerry
02-17-2008, 01:17 AM
one way bearing is no good.

RedRider_AK
02-17-2008, 01:21 AM
That's all there is to it.

hopton
02-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!!! Sorry for my ignorance, but I have never heard of the one way bearing. Can you elaborate (where located, difficulty replacing, etc.)?

RedRider_AK
02-17-2008, 01:53 AM
It's near the auto-clutch mechanism. You will have to split the cases to pull it out.

Howdy
02-17-2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!!! Sorry for my ignorance, but I have never heard of the one way bearing. Can you elaborate (where located, difficulty replacing, etc.)?
#14 in this picture:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-atv-atc185s-1983-one-way-clutch/o/m1885sch10898

hopton
02-17-2008, 02:04 AM
You guys rule! Thanks for the help. (Especially the diagram.) Not looking forward to splitting the case. Hope it goes well!

While I have the attention of the experts, any ideas why my headlight is dimmer than holding a lighter in front of the trike? (High or low beam, doesn't matter.) Little brighter when rev the engine, but pretty much useless for night driving. (Same trike as the one mentioned earlier.)

Howdy
02-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Not an expert ( IMO ), just a average user /member.
Could be a number of things. Weak stator, too big of light ( too much wattage ), bad ground, bad wiring connections, ect.
Howdy

Nick_R_23
02-17-2008, 02:16 AM
It's near the auto-clutch mechanism. You will have to split the cases to pull it out.

Actually, you WILL NOT have to split the cases, you will only have to take off the clutch cover and I believe it can all be done with the motor still in the frame. The bearing is inside the centrifugal clutch, which rides on the crank.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Howdy
02-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Actually, you WILL NOT have to split the cases, you will only have to take off the clutch cover and I believe it can all be done with the motor still in the frame. The bearing is inside the centrifugal clutch, which rides on the crank.

Yup, I forgot to mention that as well. It's a fairly easy fix.
Howdy

hopton
02-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Glad to hear it's a little easier to get to. Now to find the part as cheap as possible! Any tips on things to be careful of when doing the repair?

Thanks again!

RedRider_AK
02-17-2008, 02:29 AM
Don't break any bolts, don't lose any bolts, and be sure to put it back together the same way you took it apart! :lol: That's about all you need to be careful of. Also, drain the oil before doing this.

Nick_R_23
02-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Biggest problem you will run into if I remember right is that theres a big nut holding the clutch on, and you need to find a way to hold it still while you unthread it (left hand thread I think). Its not terribly hard but you gotta think about a way to keep the crank from spinning.

McDerry
02-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Quick question, with the engine off, and in gear, will it roll backwards???

Nick_R_23
02-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Yes, in gear it will roll backward and should lock up rolling forward.

hopton
02-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Nick is right. With engine off, and in gear, it freely rolls backwards and locks up forwards.

Are there any gaskets or seals that I will need to replace during this process? Also, how can I tell if a used one way clutch bearing is any good? I don't want to replace the bad one with a bad one. A new bearing is over $100, so i will probably have to try to buy a used one.

Mr.Jake
02-17-2008, 11:26 AM
that nut on holding the clutch on is a 30mm, left hand thread. I got it off in 2 seconds with an impact, just remember its a backwards thread!

hopton
02-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Nick is right. When off, and in gear, will roll backwards and locks forward.

Are there any seals or gaskets that will need replacing when completing the repair?

Also, since the one way clutch bearing is over $100 new, I am going to have to try to find a used one. Is there any way to tell if it is good before putting it in? I would hate to pay for and install a bad one. I already have one of those! Anyone know where I can find a used one by any chance?

Thanks!

daveatvguy
02-17-2008, 06:21 PM
just pull the spark plug out and stick some rope in the cylinder once the piston comes up to tdc it will lock up;) ;)