PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r top end rebuild

saladboy
02-16-2008, 02:24 PM
i just finished up the top end on my 85 r build i installed the motor everthing seemed to go fine.I have never done a top end before so i followed the manual.now in the book it said to put the piston in with the arrow (in mark) facing the intake side(which i assume is the carb intake side) so that what i did.heres the problem i was talking to a guy at a atv shop and he told me that the arrow on the top of the piston always faces the exhaust,so i am kinda second guessing my self as to if i did it right.the way the book had it listed i think i did it right cause it said to face the in mark towards the intake.I'm sure alot of you have done a top end before could somebody tell me if i did this right.

Dirtcrasher
02-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Arrows go towards the exhaust.....

Take it apart and flip it. It suks but ya gotta do it....

saladboy
02-16-2008, 02:33 PM
that does suck but why does the manual say towards the intake

saladboy
02-16-2008, 02:41 PM
also does this mean my head gasket is shot

Dirtcrasher
02-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Are you telling me a OEM Honda service manual says to point the arrow towards the intak (edit)??

Leave the head on (if height permits) and just pull the cylinder off of the motor. Then you just need a base gasket.

Somekindofjerk
02-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah the arrow always always always faces forward! I just consulted the 83 250R manual and it says arrow to forward of engine.

saladboy
02-16-2008, 06:33 PM
yes, that what the oem service manual says,i talk to a guy at the honda dealer and he said that the manual is refring to a oem piston and not a wiesco,he claims theres a difference.

Dirtcrasher
02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Well, lets try and not confuse people......

If it has an "in" if on the piston, it goes to the intake.

Otherwise, an arrow which most aftermarket pistons have, go toward the exhaust.

Liquid-Darkness
02-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Also the ring lands in the piston face the intake side of the cylinder. The ring lands and the IN mark are on the same side of the piston. Yeah the Wiseco pistons have an arrow thats supose to face the exhaust port. The oem and some cast pistons have the IN mark on top thats supose to face the intake side. Just make sure your ring lands are on the intake side.

RedRider_AK
02-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't run it like this, it will tear the crap out of your rings and ports.

saladboy
02-17-2008, 04:17 PM
thanks for all your help.once again you were right and i was wrong.flipped it last night only took about 1hour and a 1/2.thanks for the help.