PDA

View Full Version : buying a timing light and portable tach?

bigred1
02-15-2008, 08:18 PM
i was looking in my manual and decided i should get a timing light and portable tach also some feeler guages and micrometer. my ? is are these tools pretty standard or is there specific ones for atv engines? thanks for the input

gregg22
02-16-2008, 12:53 PM
if your three wheeler has a battery it should be simple.any standard ones should do.I have a sugestion,the ones you see for sale at autozone ect.. are of questionable quality-they look cheap so i question their ability to be accurate.I have a mac tools tach/dwell I bought for my vw powered dune buggy,at a garage sale,like new in the box for 10.00.bought a snapon timing light with the adjustable advance feature for 20.00.since you are not in a hurry I would think about it.

Rustytinhorn
02-17-2008, 03:32 AM
We use the same timing light that we use on our 83 gmc truck. I can't remember off the top of my head what brand it is, but it is an older one. On the 250r, since there is no battery, I just hooked it up to where the tail light normally plugs into the wiring harness, and then turned on the lights. Our light has a 4, 6, and 8 cylinder settings on it, but it seemed to work just fine.
Rusty