PDA

View Full Version : How to repair a rusty seat pan?

Blazer
02-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

After pulling off my seat to inspect it, I noticed that the seat pan is totally rusted. There are large holes in it and several weak spots. Is it possible to remove the rust and then fiberglass over the old metal pan to reinforce it? Has anyone tried this?

I read several posts that discussed making a new one wire mesh and fiberglass, but that seems a bit more complicated then glassing over the existing metal. What do you all think?

$50.00 for a new seat pan is crazy, please help me out here!

TwoHundredEx
02-14-2008, 11:43 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=79847

He used his old pan as a mold. Maybe PM him and ask him those questions, or he'll see this thread.

mikeyb716
02-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Use your seat pan as a mold. Cover it with wax paper so it will not stick to the pan. Use at least three or four layers. Before you apply the last layer you can glass in a thin layer of wood around the edges to staple the seat cover into. I just made one for myself and it turned out ok. I never even layed my eyes on fiberglass or resin until then. Just be patient and it will turn out great.

Blazer
02-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, sounds as if its not too difficult after all. If I make a new one, I'll post my results.