PDA

View Full Version : How much is this TRI Z worth?

acke61
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
thinkin about buying this...

says it runs good and comes with spare frame/plastics

http://a533.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/53/l_6a646e97a4a058b0de8f4ecf28676bcc.jpg\

Unsure of the year and engine size yet have to talk to him in more detail...

if you guys know any info by lookin at the picture i'd love to hear what you have to say.

this is my first post but i've been readin on here for quite some time.

Thanks guys

Jeremy

3Wheelers4Life
02-13-2008, 10:23 PM
1985 model, 250cc, 2-stroke, liquid cooled, 5-speed manual trans
does he know what its worth?
not really sure but i guess id offer $800, or $1000 or so.

Nomad
02-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I would find out more details and keep us updated. remember that little things add up fast. It depends on how much it really needs, how bad u want a z, and what they're sellin for in the local area.

if it's an 85 then its a 5 speed, unless someone put a 86 bottom end in it.

Do your research on the website and find out what else you need to look at(ie droop pegs, cracked clutch cover, etc.) that pertain to z's, as well as your typical mechanical items(all bearings, clutch, top end compression, brake pads, etc) and go from there.

Like I said, little things add up fast. I was told my Z only needed swingarm bearings and an exhaust gasket and it would be fine. I paid a G note for it & then dumped 4 more into, and I'm still goin. Most of that I feel it truely needed.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Z. I'm just sayin do your homework.

acke61
02-13-2008, 10:28 PM
what kind of problems are there with these? how much would a rebuild cost...i know the kid...he said he paid 1000 for it and 100 for the parts wheeler...said i could have it for 500...he said it probably wont start cuz its been sitting all winter but ran like a champ when he parked it...he said i'd probably hurt my leg trying to get it to start cuz its so cold out....central ny winter here...

what do you guys think....i dont wanna get something and have to work on it constantly. i just want to ride it...

oh and he said it needs the original rear axel put back on it , i guess he has an extended one on it now and he said it loosens up and throws the chain...

3Wheelers4Life
02-13-2008, 10:33 PM
$500, go get it. id be right on it if i had the cash and room.

FPMXer
02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Looks like a tecate pipe on it. But I too would buy it if it runs and rides. If the guy won't let you start it up and take it for a test spin then run to your truck and keep looking.

chris200x
02-13-2008, 11:59 PM
what kind of problems are there with these? how much would a rebuild cost...i know the kid...he said he paid 1000 for it and 100 for the parts wheeler...said i could have it for 500...he said it probably wont start cuz its been sitting all winter but ran like a champ when he parked it...he said i'd probably hurt my leg trying to get it to start cuz its so cold out....central ny winter here...

what do you guys think....i dont wanna get something and have to work on it constantly. i just want to ride it...

oh and he said it needs the original rear axel put back on it , i guess he has an extended one on it now and he said it loosens up and throws the chain...

You better look for a four stroke then. :D 2 strokes are alot of wrenching and maintaining. 500 is a fair price for that tho. if it runs or not. a total engine rebuild by a reputable builder is gonna run a grand or so. there's 500 bucks worth of parts there easily!

Welcome to the boards.

Looks like a tecate pipe on it. But I too would buy it if it runs and rides. If the guy won't let you start it up and take it for a test spin then run to your truck and keep looking.

Why do you say that? because its painted green? :lol: Not sure what they were thinkin there. lol That's a stock z expansion chamber on there. ;)

acke61
02-14-2008, 12:40 AM
i think i'm going to get it....

Honestly i've been looking for a 4 wheeler but havent had much luck finding anything in my price range. found a blaster about 2 hrs away for 800 but the guy isn't answering his phone.

i've never really ridden a 3 wheeler except a little honda 125 or something like 5 yrs ago just putting around

I used to have a polaris trail boss 1987. 2 stroke...spent about 400 bux on getting it bored and piston / rings / crank balancing so i'm not scared to do some wrenching as most of that i did myself other than the boring...but i just dont wanna buy it and have to rebuild it like 6 months later...

How much harder are 3 wheelers to ride compared to a 4 wheeler....i'm sure theres alot of leaning involved , etc. i used to ride a 70's ski doo snowmobile when i was younger where you literally had to lean whatever way you wanted to go cuz the steering did nothing...

i dont plan on going crazy and jumping it and what not just trail riding...maybe a few smaller hills and whatnot...

also would you guys trust a girl to try and drive one of these....my gf used to ride 4 wheelers all the time and would probably wanna take it for a spin now and then...

are these things easy to find parts for?

any input you guys can give me will help alot....i'm totally new to these things...

chris200x
02-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Dude.. that's not the ideal wheeler to learn to ride on. It'll bite ya quick if you aint careful.

Certian parts for the Z are becoming very difficult to find these days. My advice to you would be pass on this and get something a bit more tame for you and your girl to ride.

acke61
02-14-2008, 12:50 AM
i think i'm gonna get it i'm not scared to take it easy until i learn how to handle it well...maybe i'll try to find a little honda 185 or something for her to ride...

3wheelersrock
09-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Someone offered me a 1985 tri-z 250 red and black for $450. It runs but the rear shock needs to be re charged and the tires are worn down and let air out slowly. Is it a good deal?