PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED !!! Big Red Engine and Chain REMOVAL

Jimraby
02-12-2008, 11:53 PM
I have a big red.
it was smoking real bad, so i ordered a Top end Rebuild from ebay.
(gaskets, cylinder, pistons, ect..)

i am trying to remove my engine from the frame.
i have all the mounting bolts, wires, and everything off and its loose and ready to come out.

I have repair mainuals, that explain how to disconnect the chain to remove the motor. all the manuals tell me to remove the SPROCKET COVER which is right behind the Pull start casing.
on my 185s, the sprocket cover looks just like the pictures in the book, and easy to remove.

But... on my Big Red 200 .. it does not have the same sprocket cover.
it has the Housing box, where the High and Low gear switch is.

what is the best way to remove the chain so i can pull my motor out?

thefox
02-13-2008, 12:03 AM
I wouldn't mess with the hi-low housing at all. Instead remove the master link on the chain so you can take the chain apart. The master link looks a little different then the normal link, the outside has a clip that pops off. In the picture below you can see the maser link is the link to the right of the link the yellow arrows are pointing at (the picture is from someone elses post).

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13850&d=1121563999

thefox
02-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Oh, where are my manors, welcome to 3 Wheeler World! :welcome: :TrikesOwn :welcome:

Jimraby
02-13-2008, 12:47 AM
thanks alot.
i was thinking about doing that... now to access the Chain, should i remove the rear wheel and hub, and then remove the Chain case cover to gain access to the chain??

Twilight
02-13-2008, 12:49 AM
on the big red theres that cover for the chain, just take those bolts off, and yeah dont mess with the hi/low box...pain in the ass to get back together =)

welcome!

Jimraby
02-13-2008, 12:49 AM
another question....

after i remove the chain...
and remove the engine, rebuild top end, and install engine.
how do i get that chain back on the sprocket in the motor, without removing the High/low switch casing ?

Jimraby
02-13-2008, 12:50 AM
i guess ill be able to figure that part out when the time comes, maybe its fairly easy to lower it in there and roll the chain untill it feels like its on the sprocket teeth

Twilight
02-13-2008, 12:51 AM
You just answered your own question =)

I like you!!!

Jimraby
02-13-2008, 01:05 AM
ya know, ive spent years working and restoring classic cars.
i hate to work on the new motors w/ computers and fuel injection... but i have restored many old cars. Body, Interior, Motors and all.
but when i got my 3 Honda ATC's i was clueless on what to do, and how to do it.
now that im getting into it a little more... they appear to be the easyiest motors in the world to work on. i guess i just have to do it One time and the rest are a peice of cake.

I had been looking for 1 decent atv, just to use for Hunting 3 months out of the year. to haul deer and hogs.. Corn.. etc..
I bought the 1st 185s Atc about 2 months ago for 400.00
and since then, i ended up w/ 2 more for $150.00 each.
a 110 and a 200 Big Red

Russell 350X
02-13-2008, 01:53 AM
First of all, :welcome: to 3WW!

Deffinetly do not mess with that high/low box. Complete pain to get back together, just turns into a mess. Just fish the chain around with a wire, or clothes hanger. I had to take that cover off once to replace the sprocket, what a pain! Good luck with it tho, don;t be afraid to ask questions, someone will answer them.

McDerry
02-13-2008, 12:19 PM
The hi low box isn't to much of pain to put back together, dissasemble like a old automotive transmission. The downside is there are alot of gasket surfaces to scrape to get it back together and sealed. Might be worth looking into doing depending on the sprocket wear int eh front while the engine is out.

Mr.Jake
02-13-2008, 02:22 PM
I found when i had my engine out it's alot easier to get out if you remove the starter motor, that way you have more room to move it forward and out