PDA

View Full Version : Restoring / repairing a 70 ATC... parts questions

cbuttre835
06-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Dumb question #1: Can I go to Lowes, TSC, Home Depot, etc. and buy an assortment of metric bolts to use where some are missing? (like bolt that holds on the gas tank, fenders, grab bar, etc. -- mostly frame parts)?

i.e., are the thread pitches and diameters 'standard' (not standard as in SAE or USS 1/4"); you know, of a standardized metric size?

Dumb question #2: What will work for shining up the plastic? Take some minor scratches off and make it shine?

Dumb question #3: What size is the spark plug hole; need an adapter for my dad's compression tester.

DQ #4: What PN for spark plugs? Can't read the one I got :oops:

DQ #5: If I can find an adapter, what amount of compression do I need to shoot for? Maybe I can lap the valves and get it up there, it don't smoke any and is chirping / backfiring thru the carb a little....

Sounds like I need a Haynes or Clymer book huh? Which is better?...

All help appreciated; will post pics when done, I got the '82 70 running Saturday but it seems low on compression / power...

The 83 110 is next... then the ugly hybrid w/ bad plastic and baseball bat 'muffler'...

bobr
06-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Get a Honda shop manual. They are cheaper than the others and will cover all aspects much better. Lowes has a great assortment of metric fasteners. bob

plkmonster2
06-03-2003, 01:23 AM
the honda ones are the best, but are spendy IF YOU CAN FIND EM. they are very hard to find, esp. for a good price. i would go for a clymer 2nd choice. look for 120 to 150 lbs of comp. my 110 was chirping when the throttle was let off. the timing could be off, causing it to blow back into the carb. the chirping is because the seal is shot, or the carb isn't tight. you can use wet sand paper to shime up the plastic. start at 200 or so, and work up to 400, then 800. you can even go to 1200. i also have 1 q, do they make 1600? i think ive seen it, but im not sure.

cbuttre835
06-03-2003, 10:36 AM
10-4, thanks for the help... will try to snag a Clymer book somewhere.

Seems like I seen 1600 and 2500 grit wet-sand paper, use it to put edges on plexiglas / Lexan (did it in high school)... Never thought of that, I was looking for compounds and coming up empty handed...

Chirping comes from intake to carb seal then? Will investigate that...

Cool... got somewhere to start now...

TANKS

If you don't care where you are you can never be lost...