PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever re chromed there fork tubes??

Dirtcrasher
02-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I just have so many sets around here that are pitted on the top of the tube. It doesn't harm the seal but looks like crap.

Has anyone looked into stripping and chroming them again??

I asked about a backhoe rod one time and they wanted about 400$ but that was for a2" diameter and 150lb shaft that probably gets a bit thicker coating.

GoodKarma
02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I'd asked a local shop what they would charge, and they were talking around a hundred bucks each. I recently heard of http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/ and was told he can make anything, and they run around 200 bucks for a set. I have not confirmed his prices or availability, but that's what I was told.:beer

Black86tri-z
02-10-2008, 12:59 PM
put those covers they make on them

super90
02-10-2008, 02:10 PM
When I picked up my fork tubes from the salvage yard, the guy used some kind of buffing wheel to take the rust off. He had it hooked up to a bench grinder and you cant even tell that it was there. but I wouldnt try this on the lower section since it has to be perfect.

Dirtcrasher
02-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I can clean them up, but even looking a few years ahead, most of them are gonna need re chroming.

Hey Z, what covers are you talking about? You mean those trick wipers? I'll still have the rust on the tops between the tripple clamps......