PDA

View Full Version : I give up (200e)

Twilight
02-09-2008, 06:24 PM
New piston, new rings, new gaskets, new valves, a rebuild by me, a rebuild by my mechanic and by me again, following the manual exactly. The engine just wont start. I had no compression and spark before, and now I have compression and no spark. I checked the CDI, the gap, the fuses, spark plug and coil... nothing.

If i cant find a replacement engine in the next couple weeks, its going to the scrap yard =\

edog
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
What year is it?

Twilight
02-09-2008, 06:30 PM
1983 model

edog
02-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Make shur all ground wires are grounded properly.

longbedGTs
02-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Have you double checked the timing?

Twilight
02-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Double, triple, quadriple checked. Both timing and grounding.

Mr.Jake
02-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I remember working on my 83 200e for hours trying to get the spark. It turned out that black box near the ignition coil (cant think of the name right now) was bad. Swapped in another and it fired right up. And if its new check the connector, sometimes the wires get pushed back and wont make contact.

Dirtcrasher
02-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Try not to get frustrated, I wouldn't drag the motor rebuild into it. It's got compression, it's fresh and it's in time. I'd test all the electronics and pull all the electrical tape off of the harness and check that also. Your most likely gonna find a bad or loose connection, or a bad kill switch.

Twilight
02-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Just checked all of that, and nothing. I tried to use the electric start and a big wave of sparks came out from the key hole. Im guessing that fried it, because I have nothing now.

I've dealt with this engine more than the locked up rusted on on one of my Honda Odyssey's =\

longbedGTs
02-10-2008, 06:52 AM
If sparks came from the key cylinder, you might have the ground wire grounding out constantly killing the spark.

Hair Bear Bunch
02-10-2008, 07:00 AM
The sparks would suggest to me that you have a serious wiring fault. All the connections may be good, but are they correct? The sudden lack of spark would lead me to think some wires are not in the right place after rebuild, the sparks from the key would confirm that. Disconnect the battery, then trace and check every single wire in the loom. Very time consuming, but there's now a good chance there may be damaged/melted wires somewhere in the system. If you're lucky, you might have got away with just blowing the fuses, but you need to be sure. You don't want to get it going, then be charging across a desert somewhere with 2 gallons of best unleaded between your knees and smouldering wires under your backside unless you're going for a 'Darwin' award!
Alternatively, fit the keyswitch into the head. That way the sparks will be in the right place!

Twilight
02-10-2008, 05:13 PM
lol, I found the fault, looks like a couple rat bites. But the system is fried, I cant get any cranks out of it. To be honest I dont want to deal with it anymore. All this work and I could have just gotten a new engine for it and installed. Its costed me 312.45 in total, lol

edog
02-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Ya I am putting a 138cc lifan in my atc 90 with 200M front suspended forks.

Sorry about the rats.They make good target practice.

the great gazoo
02-10-2008, 06:34 PM
lol, I found the fault, looks like a couple rat bites. But the system is fried, I cant get any cranks out of it. To be honest I dont want to deal with it anymore. All this work and I could have just gotten a new engine for it and installed. Its costed me 312.45 in total, lol

You got off EASY, Heffe!