PDA

View Full Version : 84 250r Axle questions

jeehole
02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
hi guys..

i just picked up an 84 250r.

1.) Look at the attached picture of the sprocket hub. In the manual it shows a circlip holding that in place on the axle. Mine doesn't have one (it doesn't even have the groove for one). There should be one, right? How is the sprocket staying on there - rust??

It seems to be lined up with the front sprocket, and its on there pretty solid.

2.) Also, the previous owner just had the axle bearings replaced in the swing arm. I can see that the bearings are shiny and new. However, there is play in between the axle and the inner race. There is no play between the carrier and the outer race.

what could cause this? a worn axle? or more likely an incorrect bearing was installed?

Thanks!

oldskool83
02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
they sproket hubs are pressed on there using a tight press fit

jeehole
02-08-2008, 12:18 PM
they sproket hubs are pressed on there using a tight press fit

thanks oldskool.

no wonder the manual says to remove the axle from that side of the swingarm!

Anybody have a comment on question 2?

Thanks

oldskool83
02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
is the axle fully tight?

jeehole
02-08-2008, 12:30 PM
is the axle fully tight?

Good question. I'll check that this weekend. i see from the manual that there should be about 30 ft-lbs on the inner axle nut.

thanks!

stefan34
02-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I have 2 atc250 r von 83/84 and both have the same as you have never had any troubel with them though

greetz from holland :D

max
02-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Assuming the bearings are the right ones and the axle nut is tight, the axle is grooved where the bearings ride and will need replaced. This happened to mine.

The hub is a press fit as stated above.

jeehole
02-11-2008, 12:19 PM
is the axle fully tight?

Oldskook83 - you were right, the axle wasn't fully tight.

However, the problem is that the axle nuts are stripped. It will tighten to a point, and then it just slips with very little force applied. I tried swapping the order of the two nuts, and the other nut was stripped too. Its the threads of the nut that are slipping, not the outer surfaces that the wrench fits on.

My local dealer wants $22 each for the nuts! I've seen some better prices online, whats the best place to order from online as far as price and service?

Also, i'm concerned about how these nuts got stripped (since they are so expensive I don't want it to happen again...) The manual says to tighten the inner nut to 25-33 ft/lbs, and the outer to 87-101 ft/lbs, so it looks like they can take a lot of torque. I also examined the axle threads. They don't appear damaged, and I cleaned them up with a wire brush. The do seem a little "shallow" though, but not sure if that is normal.

I can try to take a close up picture if you think it will help.

Any advice on how to avoid this problem in the future?

As always, thanks for all the help!