PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions wanted on swinger

FPMXer
02-04-2008, 03:23 PM
I sent my swinger off to my pops for some work. It was cracked on the carrier case. A previous owner slammed the rearend on something and smashed the two rear skid plate bosses. I want the cracks welded shot and smoothed over and want to extend it. I plan on riding it mostly in the sand and would loke to flattrack her. But I'm stuck on the amount of extension. I read alot of threads on extended swingers but didn't find my answer. I only plan on extending it 1-3 inches. I also told him to make a jig and build me an extended swingarm with ladder bar style. He works in a steel mill and can make it how ever I decide.

RedRider_AK
02-04-2008, 03:28 PM
For flat-track you don't need an extended swingarm. You'll have a big setup change between flat-track and sand riding, I think, unless you like having a lowrider that scrapes the ground on each bump. What kind of trike is this anyway?

Usually, you can get away with just adding more bar-stock type stuff to the swinger, after the shock mount (or before it, if you feel like making a custom mount for lower ride height, etc). You will need to revalve and respring the shock if you're extending the swingarm, it will give more leverage for the shock to bottom out if you leave it stock.

2 inches is good all around if you're doing sand drags or mild hillclimbing. More is dependent on how much power you're putting out. AGAIN, it depends on the trike as well.

FPMXer
02-04-2008, 11:35 PM
The trike is an 86' 250R. The motor doesn't have any work that I can tell from the outside. I think I'm going to have pop's fix the cracked carrier hub and build me another swinger that's extended. That way if I ever get to flattrack it I can put the stocker on and when going to the sand I can put the extended swinger on.

RedRider_AK
02-05-2008, 01:34 AM
You'll need to constantly swap chains too, remember that. I don't know if that swingarm is aluminum or steel, if it's steel it shouldn't be too hard.

Go for it!

scooterroo
02-05-2008, 10:03 AM
some of the flat trackers also use shortened swingers for some reason. get with billy or syko, they run flat track and they run 250r's so they should be able to help you out more with a flat track set up.

FPMXer
02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
You'll need to constantly swap chains too, remember that. I don't know if that swingarm is aluminum or steel, if it's steel it shouldn't be too hard.

Go for it!

Yes, the swinger is steel. The magnet stuck to every part of it. Yea I will have to have 2 chains but where and who makes the extended brake line or what bike has a longer brake line?

RedRider_AK
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes, the swinger is steel. The magnet stuck to every part of it. Yea I will have to have 2 chains but where and who makes the extended brake line or what bike has a longer brake line?

I think with something as small as a 2 over, you might get away with stock lines... my buddy stuck a 4 over onto his Blaster and he could still use stock brakes.

FPMXer
02-07-2008, 06:52 AM
I talked to my pop's yesterday and he added 3 inches to the swinger in front of the carrier. He Tig'd the cracked carrier back to one piece and told me the metal was pretty fatigued and will blow out some day. He was going to spray it gold again but I told him to lop off the skid plate bosses and spray it black. I should get it sometime next week and get it back on. I will see if the caliper will bolt back on with the stock line. I will also be putting a new gold chain on it too.

FPMXer
02-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Can I just buy a chain in the box off the shelf or do I need to buy a special chain due to the added 3inches?

RedRider_AK
02-11-2008, 11:44 PM
You can get custom lengths of chain through Northern Power Tool.

FPMXer
02-12-2008, 12:18 AM
How many links will I need or how long is the chain?

Red Rider
02-12-2008, 03:34 AM
If you lengthened the swingarm 3", you'll need an additional 6" of chain, so however many links that is.

FPMXer
02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Well that makes sense. I will take the old chain with me to the shop and lay them both out on the floor and make sure the new one is longer by at least 6inches.