PDA

View Full Version : Question on coils

topless
02-03-2008, 04:35 PM
I finally got everything together on my '85 200s, but it won't run with any of the 3 coils I have. We swapped a coil from a good running 200s and it fired on the first pull and ran perfectly.
Here's my question: Do I bite the bullet and buy a new Honda coil, spark plug wire setup for about $90 or buy a $22 aftermarket one that "should" work from DRATV?
I've rebuilt this trike completely (actually it's taken parts of 3), new top end, all bearings, sprockets & chain etc. It'll take a week to get the Honda parts and a day to get the aftermarket one.
Anyone have experience with the one that "should" work?

TeamGeek6
02-04-2008, 01:20 PM
The one that "should work" is the original or sub for original. You dont have the equipment to choose alternates.

All that you can do to check the old one is resistance tests on primary and secondary, primary reads zero and secondary, probably 5000 ohms. This doesnt mean its good, just means the wires inside arent broken open.

Before you go wasting money on parts, realize that 90% of cycle electrical problems are bad connections, not bad parts.

topless
02-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for your help. Since I bought all three of these trikes not running, 1 with the motor in pieces, we had no idea about any of the electrical parts. 2 of them were stored outside at a bike salvage, seems for years.
We had a combination of problems. First, with a new top end and an iffy carb, the plug was getting wet after a pull or 2. So, we used the good coil to run the motor long enough to seat the rings. Then cleaned up all the connections and tried the original coil and it ran fine. The carb kit should be in today and now we can deal with one thing at a time.
Hopefully, I can get enough good parts to resurrect another trike. The next one will be a 185s, the other 200s was abused too badly. I am amazed that people can bend & break so many parts, never lube anything and these trikes can be brought back with some time, money and TLC.

TeamGeek6
02-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Suspect the wiring, especially if stored outside, moisture does evil things to connectors.

Thats a BAD way to start a new engine off, suspect ignition and a rich carb! Id not run it long liek that for fear of glazing the rings.