PDA

View Full Version : 200x shock upgrade?

super90
02-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Im completely building a new 200x to fit my needs and was looking at rear shocks. Mine is blown and measures 15'', does anyone know if there are any quad shocks that would fit? Im not looking to spend 400 on a new works, something off a stock atv or dirtbike. I know it would either be stiffer or softer since its not valved for a trike, and I will have to find one that was built for no link suspension, or create some sort of linkage. So what are my options?

Dirtcrasher
02-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Is this the 86 you were parting and now you are keeping??

Then I'd look for a good OEM shock - expect to pay about 150$.

I don't imagine anything else will fit without work and won't be made for that bike's weight and angles etc etc and the stock 86/87 200SX has very goos suspension when it's working right.

Threes company
02-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Could always have your stock shock rebuilt..... I remember a thread awhile back about a guy that does rebuilds cheap, not sure if it was through EBay or something..... I know the bike shops around here charge a pretty penny for rebuilds, but you could check that out too. :beer

super90
02-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I parted out some of it but sold most to a friend. Kept a select few parts and am now putting together another with spare parts I've kept around. basically everything except for the wiring, tank and carb+throttle. I thought about getting it rebuild but it costs well over $100, I mean If i had a 250r with great suspension I would understand but the suspension it comes with isnt too great. The 200sx suspension is smaller, A friend has a 88 200sx and the shock is tiny spring wise. I read on here somewhere a 01 raptor 660 shock would work, dont know if its true but there going pretty cheap on ebay. Basically my shock does nothing, when you ride down a road with some small rocks it throws it everywhere and the suspension dosent budge even though it is pretty loose and I weigh 170lbs.

saleen_n_around
02-02-2008, 12:27 AM
.......and the stock 86/87 200X has very good suspension when it's working right.

You're quite right about that. I weigh 250# and mine is like riding on air blasting out in 6th gear across my in-law's 18 acre pasture......

super90
02-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Alright I guess I shouldnt call the 200x suspension horrible, which its not. But the newer quad shocks could be made to work much better and are more available than the 86 shock. I was considering a 400ex rear but it is 16'' long. I have it sitting out in my garage and was going to put it on but realised right away it needs linkage to work. Would there be any way to fab up a dogbone link to work on the 86 swinger? I have a solid block of aluminum to work with, just need to know how it needs to be done :confused: Even a pic of trike or quad linkage would be helpful. Thanks

SWIGIN
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
the linkage needs to be 100% right for the shock to feel and act like it did stock......something to think about

200x newby
02-15-2008, 06:40 PM
86 200x huh? why not just buy a swingarm from a newer quad so you will have beeter suspension and axle choices? i know it will taek some cutting and welding but would be alot easier than trying to build a linkage setup and make it right.