PDA

View Full Version : ATC 185s Choke Operation

danpalms15
02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone! I don't wanna sound stupid but i need an answer on my choke operation for my 1983 ATC 185s. When the Black choke lever is up the round piece of metal in the carb is closed and when the choke lever is down the round piece is horizontal. I havent ridden it in like 2 days and carb is off for cleaning but what position is normal operating (choke lever up or down) Becuase im pretty sure when i run it the choke lever is all the way up and the metal is closed?

Thanks for your Help!!!!

AngusJustice
02-01-2008, 02:46 PM
all the way up is the right spot for the choke when its warm!

danpalms15
02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
So you are saying I should ride it around and run it when the engine is warm when the lever is all the way up?

RedRider_AK
02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
The choke plate should be open after it warms up. Whichever way opens it, that's the way it goes after you warm it up. Otherwise, it won't run right and be a pain to start warm.

runaway
02-02-2008, 12:04 AM
hello
i rode my 82 185s today choke is up on my bike starts one pull i let it run for about 30 seconds then i push it down and its ready, off choke. hope this helps

danpalms15
02-02-2008, 12:28 PM
How far do u push it down? 1 or 2 click cuase i knwo there are 3 positions. Then what happens if you push it all the way down, if i push mine all the way down my bike won't run. Thanks for the help!

McDerry
02-02-2008, 07:54 PM
All the way down si choke off, you should eb able to run it with the choke off after it is started.

All the way and pull it a couple times till it tries to fire.

Then go to half choke (1 click down) and pull it till it starts.

After it starts, throttle up just a tad and flip the choke off (all the way down).

If it wont stay running with the choke off, you are running the pilot circuit lean.

runaway
02-02-2008, 09:08 PM
hello
well said!

danpalms15
02-02-2008, 09:46 PM
What do you mean when u say I'm running the pilot circuit lean? If it doesn't idle with the choke is off i prolly have to turn the idle screw up right? becuase i guess ive been riding it with the choke all the way on and at idle speed. I could tell it had a weird fuel to air ratio and a faulty choke operation because when i pulled the plug out it was black and dry. so just get back to me ASAP if you can. Thanks for the Help!

Blazer
02-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Hi Dan,

I just had this exact problem with my 1982 185s today. My bike would run for 10-20 seconds with full choke (lever in up position). Then it wouldn't start at all, in any choke position. I finally figured out that it was running to lean. (just did a carb rebuild and hadn't tuned it properly yet).

The air/fuel or pilot screw near the float bowl needs to be adjusted to richen the air/fuel mixture. To adjust this, first find a small flat screwdriver and turn this screw clockwise until it lightly seats. Then turn this screw counter clockwise approximately 1 1/2 turns. This setting should be close, however I found that mine ran best at about 1 3/4 turns out from being seated. Experiment with the screw in this approximate range and adjust your idle accordingly, and you will probably get it to start much easier like mine does now. After doing this, my bike will start on the first pull with the choke "off" when its warm outside. Typically, when its cold, I will put the choke on until the engine warms up, and then lower the choke lever in increments until it is off.

I hope this helps, Good luck!