PDA

View Full Version : dude..why..atc110 piston ring problems

scrawny
01-31-2008, 10:56 AM
ok...

i got the piston/rings which is a +1.00mm, took the jug AND piston/rings to a reputable shop about 40mins from here(janssen)to have bored along with touching up the valve seats. (got a little crazy porting )

got it all back and im PSYCHed. i do my normal routine checking end gap, then im like WTF?? service manual says between .004" and .010" i can still fit a .016" in there. DAMMIT? then im like maybe they messed the bore up somehow. so i measured...right on.

im thinking the it is just a poor quality piston/rings set, what are the chances i could just get some name brand rings and they will fit the piston? maybe i should just REebay the set and get my self a name brand set....

SWIGIN
01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
that hapends sometimes....you can ether run with it or try another set.

Liquid-Darkness
01-31-2008, 12:12 PM
I would just place the 1st and second ring in the bottom of the jug. Square it with the piston. See that the ring end gaps do not butt while at the base of the cylinder bore. Or place one ring on the piston out a time and pinch it so they are closed on the piston. Be sure they do not butt when doing so, file the ring end gap if needed. The oil ring should be left alone. Thats about all I would do to handle this situation. Just don't count on going back after a few 1000 miles and checking for ring wear with reliable service limits to refer to. If it starts smoking, just replace the rings. Good luck.

scrawny
01-31-2008, 12:20 PM
^^

thats what i did, my concern is the gap is too big.

i was just going to do the head/ cam, but after checking the ring gap of the set that was in there, i figured i would freshen it up. now i have the same end gap with a brand new set of rings. i suppose they could have sent the wrong size rings as they were in a seperate box.

SWIGIN
01-31-2008, 12:27 PM
see if they make over sized rings for your piston ( file fit)

they are made bigger then a normal set