PDA

View Full Version : should I go auto-x or stock?

bigred1
01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
as i was looking at the 200x I began thinking my impatience is getting the best of me so I would like your, (the other members) input. I was realy exicted about making this a 200e autox but this would mean alot of down time and money and probably alot of fab work. another opt is to just go standard auto-x which means i just rebuild a motor get the rear brake pedal welded and thats about all. last opt and probably cheapest and quickest is to keep it stock and just rebuild my motor, my only uncertainty with this is that i have no exp with hand clutching and how much this would effect trail riding? thanks for the advice.

oldskool83
01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
if your going to riding trails do an auto-x. reason i build mine that way. take a look at my auto-x build thread...it may inspire you to ditch the clutch for the tight trails.

TwoHundredEx
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Even though you don't have experience riding a clutch, I would stick with it, but it might depend on how tight the trails are.
It might affect your trail riding at first, but once you get used to it, you'll really start to enjoy it.
An auto is nice sometimes, but I've found that when I'm riding, I like to bring the front end up a lot when going over little obstacles, or just because I want to.
It's a lot easier to bring it up with a manual, rather than an auto. Also times when you just need a little extra power to go over something or through some mud, it's nice to be able to just pull in the clutch brings the rev's up and drop it.
The stock 200X with a fresh rebuild will also be more powerful than a stock 200E or S.

Threes company
01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't let your inexperience with using a manual clutch influence your build. Believe me, you'll catch on quick...... before you know it, it will be second nature to you out on the trails.... no matter how tight or technical they become. Maybe its my prior experience with mx and enduro riding... but I actually feel more comfortable and have more fun with a manual clutch... anyhoo.... just my two... :beer

Dammit!
01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Auto X's are lame. The 200x is such a fun little trike keep it the way it was meant to be. The clutch is one of the best things the 200x has going for it.

Erics350x
01-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Auto X's are lame. The 200x is such a fun little trike keep it the way it was meant to be. The clutch is one of the best things the 200x has going for it.

Harsh, but true.

The only way i'd do an auto is if its what i had layin around and couldn't afford anything else.

SWIGIN
01-29-2008, 02:55 PM
id rather have a auto x then any hard tail bike larger then a 110

oldskool83
01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
another option is a xr200 motor...if i blow up my auto motor i will buy a xr200 and put it in...they are more realiable then a 200x motor.

atctim
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
I personally like the Auto-X for trails. A good running mildly modified 200S motor puts out OK power - and a clutch is over-rated. Look at all the hare scramble guys that go out and spend the bucks to put a Rekluse clutch in their bikes to get the semi-auto clutch!

I vote Auto-X all the way - are you gonna race??? or ride mild trails?

bigred1
01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
another option is a xr200 motor...if i blow up my auto motor i will buy a xr200 and put it in...they are more realiable then a 200x motor.

is an xr200 auto? where do you find one? is it a dirt bike or atv engine? 2 or 4 stroke?

bigred1
01-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I vote Auto-X all the way - are you gonna race??? or ride mild trails?

not race, but the trails i like are probably more medium to adv steep inclines and declines with sharp turns at bottom type stuff also its terrain that is most frequented by 4wheelers so i have some pretty deep ruts in areas.

so far no one seems to think the e motor is worth while?? is this because its to much of a hassle or that the extra low/subtranny won't be much good for a suspended trike?

oldskool83
01-29-2008, 07:07 PM
xr200 is a 4 stroke dirtbike...it makes more power then a stock 200x and has no kicker issues....you can use 1981-83 or 86-02. they have a bigger carb and everything. you have to do a flip seat or take your fenders off to start it since its a rear kick...good luck finding a cheap motor...its not a mod for the broke or cheapo's most times you need to buy the bike to get the motor.

i still say auto-x for what you wanna do.

MO dx
01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
After trail riding with a fella (it was atctims wifes buggy) on a auto x this weekend .I was impressed with its capabilities in tight wooded areas. I will probally have one someday.

cr480r
01-29-2008, 07:10 PM
I wouldnt even consider an auto conversion unless I was going to be mostly riding tight trails at walking speeds... Or if I had the needed parts already laying around...

bigred1
01-30-2008, 07:21 PM
any one else want to weigh in on this?

Big red 200es
01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
go with the 200x engine is more fun with a clutch and is not very long to learn