PDA

View Full Version : need some opinions on painting my x

3Wheelers4Life
01-24-2008, 10:48 PM
ok, i have been slowly gathering parts to restore my 200x.

i dont have a lot of money, and i want/need a DG exhaust, k+n filter, xr200 carb, xr200 intake, wiseco piston and rings, cylinder bored and honed, head work done, plastic swing arm bushings, crank rebuilt, and odds and ends. which is going to be about $750 or so i figure on a good day. and will take me a couple months to save up.

once i get my DR200 sold i will have some more money too. (for sale now)

i have access to a sand blaster, and compressor but currently dont have a paint gun. and i figure i am looking at least at another $250+ for the paint gun and automotive paint. (primer, white, grey, red, black, clear)

My question is this:

1. should i wait another couple months and save up $250 or so for a cheap paint gun and paint EVERY PART with auto paint and do it right?

OR

2. should I just spend $60 or so and spray bomb everything with the best quality spray paint, and do it as good as possible?

OR

3. should i buy a cheap paint gun and paint ONLY the frame with auto paint and spray bomb everything else?

now i dont want to ride it once and have all the paint chip off of everything so i want something durable.

how durable is high quality spray paint? will it chip off right away?

if you guys have any other suggestions let me know.

not being able to ride a 3 wheeler is killing me! what should i do? i really want to get riding again, especially for the snow. but i want my x to look very nice, and the paint to hold up well. what should i do? thanks in advance!

TwoHundredEx
01-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Honestly, I just went through this and my opinion is to wait and buy a cheap gun.
I decided to use a rattle can, because I, just like you, just wanted to ride and have it look decent.
I was mildly happy with the way things came out. It wasn't horrible, but I know with proper paint and a cheap gun, it could've been 10 times better.
If you do decide to use a rattle can, get some decent clear coat also, makes a world of difference.

Even high quality spray paint will chip fairly easy, if you do it right, it CAN look nice, but automotive paint will still be twice as good, and twice as durable.
And beleive me, it sucks having to tear everything down again because the paint didn't hold up.

RedRider_AK
01-25-2008, 12:02 AM
I second what Two Hundred said. I spent like 3 cans of spray paint on a little LT80 frame this summer, and after 2 rides in the gravel and dirt, it was all chipped.

Threes company
01-25-2008, 01:57 AM
Have to agree with the other guys...... just be patient and get it right the first time. Nothing I hate more than having to do a job twice because I rushed through it. I have gotten decent results in the past with spray bombs... but nothing that really stands up to rocks, mud and sand. Hmmm... speaking of rocks, mud and sand...I know what you mean about wanting to get out there and ride :( ........ :beer

3Wheelers4Life
01-25-2008, 12:38 PM
alright guys, thanks for the help. i guess ill wait and do it right and be out of riding for another couple months :(.
if anyone has any other suggestions let me know. thanks.

mdunn
01-25-2008, 02:25 PM
You shouldn't have to spend $250 on a "cheap" gun.....$250 will get you a pretty good quality gun! You can pick up a cheap gravity fed gun for less than a $100 that will be more than sufficient for what you are talking about. I agree with everyone else though...take your time and do it right the first time. Check out Eastwood...they have decent starting guns pretty cheap.

Threes company
01-25-2008, 02:25 PM
alright guys, thanks for the help. i guess ill wait and do it right and be out of riding for another couple months :(.
if anyone has any other suggestions let me know. thanks.

Maybe pick up a cheap "rider" to use while restoring your X? Something like a 110 or 125 can be found cheap and is a serious blast in the snow.... :beer

james9r9r
01-25-2008, 02:53 PM
I got my spray gun for $10 does a great job I have to goto the paint store and have them use the computer and match the color.

pickleweasel_00
01-25-2008, 10:37 PM
so is automotive paint going to hold up any better to rocks gravel mud and sand than a high quality spray paint? :wondering seems like it would still be prone to chipping

RedRider_AK
01-26-2008, 02:23 AM
so is automotive paint going to hold up any better to rocks gravel mud and sand than a high quality spray paint? :wondering seems like it would still be prone to chipping

Automotive paint, you mix a hardener into it. It cures a lot tougher than spray paint.

Dirtcrasher
01-26-2008, 12:36 PM
AMAZING!! Finally someone is convinced to paint it once and paint it right :w00t: :beer :D

I like the paint guns with the resevoir on the top. My bud has one he paid 60$ for and it's working great. 100 to 150$ would get you a nice gun you'd have for years to come, just be sure to take it all apart and clean it after each use.

It is such a shame to see dozens of hours cleaning and prepping parts only to dump Krylon on them. Spray bombs are great as a temporary fix because of bad weather or time, but in the end it needs a good quality paint with a hardner in it.

RedRider_AK
01-26-2008, 05:54 PM
It is such a shame to see dozens of hours cleaning and prepping parts only to dump Krylon on them. Spray bombs are great as a temporary fix because of bad weather or time, but in the end it needs a good quality paint with a hardner in it.

I used to do that. I spent at least 4 hours sanding and prepping my LT 80, every single dang chassis part, and then another 2 hours applying coat after coat of spray bomb... and then after one 30 minute ride it was chipped to hell and back. :crazy:

3Wheelers4Life
01-27-2008, 06:27 PM
alright, im definitely going to do it right and paint everything with auto paint.
any opinions on the pepboys or harbor freight paint guns? are they alright for very light use? thanks.

3Wheelers4Life
01-27-2008, 06:51 PM
is this a good starter kit right here? 2 guns for $50? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94572 thanks guys.

SYKO
01-27-2008, 06:54 PM
auto paint will still chip, things you can do.... goto a good auto paint store and ask if they can get any brand of epoxy sprayable paint, with hardener, epoxy is the next strongest paint to powdercoating. I use single stage paint on my parts, and it gets chipped, its a fact of life if you ride you will chip your paint no matter what. Base coat clear coat will also hold up well, one reason its a soft paint and can forgive some pressure (base is the soft substrate to the clear on top). Also you can buy a cheap spray gun from even walmart or home depot or wherever if all you want to do is spray parts and a frame, also dont let a paint store talk you into expensive paint/clear, the cheapest of the cheap will be exceptable for this, unless you want to put sikkens rock gaurd clear on heheheheh its over 600 a gallon! lol good luck!

edit: just saw the harbor freight gun...thats fine for what you want to do.

3Wheelers4Life
01-27-2008, 07:06 PM
thanks syko, so epoxy paint, and base clear is fine.
what about primer? any opinions on that?
about how much would it be to do my whole X with primer, red, black, silver, white, clear?
this is basically my first time painting with out a rattle can so give me any tips you know, small or big. thanks everyone!

EDIT: also what should i use on the exhaust and engine? high temp rattle can paint?

1upfront
01-27-2008, 07:12 PM
auto paint will still chip, things you can do.... goto a good auto paint store and ask if they can get any brand of epoxy sprayable paint, with hardener, epoxy is the next strongest paint to powdercoating. I use single stage paint on my parts, and it gets chipped, its a fact of life if you ride you will chip your paint no matter what. Base coat clear coat will also hold up well, one reason its a soft paint and can forgive some pressure (base is the soft substrate to the clear on top). Also you can buy a cheap spray gun from even walmart or home depot or wherever if all you want to do is spray parts and a frame, also dont let a paint store talk you into expensive paint/clear, the cheapest of the cheap will be exceptable for this, unless you want to put sikkens rock gaurd clear on heheheheh its over 600 a gallon! lol good luck!

edit: just saw the harbor freight gun...thats fine for what you want to do.

Good Idea syko we use sikkens where I work I should try to get my hands on some of that rock guard clear for my next project.

saladboy
01-27-2008, 10:45 PM
i would powdercoat everything.you said you can buy a spray gun for $250+paint. i got my frame,swinger,brake lever,handle bars,front hub and a couple other small pieces pc for $220 . myself i would go the pc route.

3Wheelers4Life
01-27-2008, 10:53 PM
i would powdercoat everything.you said you can buy a spray gun for $250+paint. i got my frame,swinger,brake lever,handle bars,front hub and a couple other small pieces pc for $220 . myself i would go the pc route.

actually i ment around $250 including spray gun and some paint. i was thinking about powdercoating, but i though it would be a lot more then auto paint, especially to have someone else do it.
so you got all that done for $220 huh? sounds like a good deal. i prefer to do the work myself, but if someone does a nice job, ill let them do it.

all in all, what do you need to powdercoat? could i do it out of my garage with no experience? and about how much would it cost to do my whole X? thanks!

Threes company
01-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Hey 34life...... awhile back I decided to do over my VMax.... stopped at a local VW dealership with a dozen donuts and spoke to the body shop guys. Explained to them i wanted the body parts painted GTI green... they said no problem as long as I did all the prep work.... they did a killer job. 50 bucks later (and some more donuts, body guys love donuts, lol) and i had a killer looking bike :drool: with a nicer than OEM looking paint job. Just an idea... i know you want to hit the trails, maybe this could save you some time? I know its more rewarding to get it done yourself, but sometimes.... :beer

Threes company
01-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Oh yeah... the way i got away cheap was that i picked a color of a car they were getting ready to spray.... you'd be surprised how quick guys at these dealerships will help out with a cool or different project, something different for them besides the same ol four door sedans, etc. just my two... good luck bro. :beer

snapon
01-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Just curious for those who use auto paint where do you buy it from. I cant think of any local places to buy it from.

3Wheelers4Life
01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
thanks syko, so epoxy paint, and base clear is fine.
what about primer? any opinions on that?
about how much would it be to do my whole X with primer, red, black, silver, white, clear?
this is basically my first time painting with out a rattle can so give me any tips you know, small or big. thanks everyone!

EDIT: also what should i use on the exhaust and engine? high temp rattle can paint?

any answers to the above questions? ^^^^^^^

threes company, thanks for that idea, ill keep that in mind.

snapon you can get auto paint from an auto paint store or body shop supply store.

any other opinions or thoughts let me know. thanks guys.